Cambodia, the Angkor Temples

Hawkers! Be prepared for the most desperate hawkers you've ever encountered.

-----------------------------

and friendliest too. The young girls are fun to flirt with while you buy water (and you will! flirt or drink...), the kids around the temples are smart and a gregarious bunch. When you think all these people would have been starving and suffering slow death under the Khmer rouges, Cambodai being a humongous concentration camp, even a "hawking" smile is balm to the heart. IMO.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep you are right, Cambo is not as cheap as thought to be. I have never been out of PNH, so my knowledge is limited. But what I have seen, compared to Thailand, hotels, transportation and food(!) is higher. Adding the costs of going there, there is no real reason for the traveller except one thing: The Ladies!

Btw, is there any other reason going to Cambodia than ladies and Angkor Temples?

"Food is similar to Thailand in cost and sometimes cheaper by far."

Reminds me of another recommendation in Siem Reap - The Snap Dragon restaurant for good value Vietnamese food.

I tried a pizza place (Happy Hawaian Pizza?) and it was fine too. I didn't rate much of the Cambodian cuisine, especially compared to Thai cooking. Of the stuff I tried, only the famous Luc Lac was really any good.

HI COSS

Thanx for the info.Just one more point which currency would you recommend to take to cambodia and if it is better to change money in thailand.I will have travellers cheques.

RUUD

Take US $, take lotsa 1, 5, 10 and 20 bills, they will always give you Riel(4,000 per 1$ approx) as change so when something is less than a $ give them the Riel back.

There is information about changing travellers cheques and getting money on credit cards floating around (try a search), but I had no trouble with US $ and most places will lock up your passport, extra cash etc. But as they say your mileage may vary.

I wouldn't carry more than 40 or 50 around with me at night though. I never had a problem but there have been instances in the past of guys having an Uzi stuck up their nostril for $20 or so, but once the muggers saw that they'd got the money they went on their way.

If you stick with a moto driver at night in PP you are OK and in SR I wandered around quite drunk and didn't feel threatened.

Cheers

Btw, is there any other reason going to Cambodia than ladies and Angkor Temples?

-------------------------

To each his own, but if you like travelling and discover other cultures, which often helps you to understand about your own as well, it's a totally different place than Thailand. I really appreciated going there and meeting people, not into the nightlife, except for drinks. Definitely unforgettable emotions and memories from that trip in 1997.

• [color:blue]"Definitely unforgettable emotions memories from that trip in 1997."color=blue>

As far as I have learned, 1997 was the year, when Cambodia was much less secure than today. I made my first trip in 2000 and even with being throughout many countries in SEA before, it was a very different experience. But nowadays, after being there for many times, it is easy to get used to it (same same like Thailand).

hell even when one gets used to the country it's still loads of fun going to SEA. only one tend to be more narrow minded when on holiday in a well known country...

that said going to angkor is on top of my non sanuk todo list, while PNH is on top of the SANUK list :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Never been to Angkor, but what I have heard, Siem Riep is the place for temples, not the place for sanuk

I`ve been this summer for 5 days in Siem Reap. It was terrible hot (39 C, 90% humidity). But the temples are one of the best places I have ever seen in my life (and I´ve seen a lot in Europe and a little bit in SE and E Asia).

Didn´t had the idea that there would be any opportunity for sanuk, but an expat took me to a bar called "Sansi Bar" or so. A very beautiful girl approached me and after a few beers I took her with me to my Guest House. Maybe like in many places in Cambodia, you will find some regulars in the expats hang out places. I wouldn´t bring a girl from PP, maybe a local girl could show you some nice places there.

Just my two (euro)cents

Archived