Meine Gotte 68 baht to the £

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember speaking to someone last year who was out here at the time it went to 90+ to the pound. He transferred more money over and had himself a lot of bangs for his bucks ( pounds )

Before that crisis was it not trading fairly stably around the 50s mark ? Since then I seem to recall its been around the 57-61 range over the last few years.

For the 4 years I was there before the crash it hardly budged from 40 to the £, 25 to the $. Sadly, I was paid in baht and it took a bit of a while for my salary to do anything like recovering. Then again, prices certainly didn't rise very quickly either, for anything apart from, inevitably, imported stuff.

LG

• 2 weeks later...

now look at that:

06/17/1997 37.990bt=1£

01/25/1998 91.36920bt=1£

so much difference in little more than 7 months. who earned a lot of money or got a lot of cheap pussy at that time?

unfortunately I hadn't even been to thailand yet until june 97 & didn't get much value for the 'crash' down in singapore!!!

actually this incredible value for the GBP seems to be an isolated case as other european currencies never enjoyed such a value or even fluctation? why???

I was there with a German girlfriend when it was 91 to the £. It was a pleasurable and relaxing experience. The two month trip extended to four plus months and the money still hadn't run out. I was paying for both of us!(She was depressed and needed a break, so I invited her)

Our one way flight back to the UK cost £105 and that wasn't the cheapest airline. A flight to India was little more than £30. Those were the days. :-)

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

According to www.xe.com ; 68.9012 THB to 1GBP

Though that's all very nice, though with the Euro firming up against the US dollar and the British Pound. I am a little concerned that there will be selling of the GBP when it hits the psychological barrier or GBP 0.70 to the Euro.(It's 69.7239 pence at the mo)

Archived