Meine Gotte 68 baht to the £

they tried that too in denmark, but I still agree - ease(cost) of travel(currency) is indeed an euro advantage, but I guess a few 'stubborn' countries will have to wait a bit more for that...

UK is alone with the schengen thing though, but I suppose I know why - now :eek:

now if finland, germany & greece fits in the euro I don't see UK so special & that comparason goes for new york, california & utah :hubba:

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello IB,

The thing is that the Danish Krona has ALWAYS been pretty much linked to the German Mark. So you guys are not really relinquishing control of your economy.

In the UK this is not the case, also London is Europes Financial centre, Frankfurt hasnt taken over at all, in fact London has grown stronger. Paris has however shrunk financially, as all Finance is now in Frankfurt at the ECB.

Why should UK risk all of this, we have so so much to lose and being honest not much to gain.

STH

I think the Euro is really really good for the smaller countries, Greece, Portugal etc, giving them stability they didnt previously have.

Time will tell, at the moment I know quite a few big companies in the UK only trade in Euros, but there has not been much " Euro " creep as was predicted.

One horrifying effect of the Euro was to put up the price of whoring. The girls in Amsterdam were always 50 guilders for suck or fuck, now they are charging almost double.

STH

One horrifying effect of the Euro was to put up the price of whoring. The girls in Amsterdam were always 50 guilders for suck or fuck, now they are charging almost double.

That's a convincing argument. :hubba: :grinyes:

Jokes aside, with the introduction of the Euro many companies raised their prices. This effect was clearly visible in Germany and people got very angry. The Euro since then is nicknamed the 'Teuro', meaning expensive (teuer).

Thats true, prices increased quite considerably, with everyone rounding up.

I read a recent article, the savings reaped through not having to change currency have been wiped out by this opportunistic rounding up.

So in the short term we have seen price push inflation, retailers didnt like it, the cost of converting tills, coin vending machines etc, a large expense for a small business.

STH

Thats true, prices increased quite considerably, with everyone rounding up

Not only rounding up. Restaurants, some hotels and even grocery shops etc. had the guts to charge the same figure in Euro which they used to charged before in DEM. In many restaurants one can still feel the effect. Less customers but the greedy owners did not correct their overcharged prices.

can't argue that one(doubling of whoring overnight). that happened in germany particularly, but I believe guys like peter1964 has been able to bargain down to 'old' price levels, but I doubt us 'tourists' could do likewise :hubba:

now enough amunition for the sterling side :doah:

on the larger scale euro scenario I don't see the parallel on the economic shrink in paris to london as the currency of trade is just one parameter in trade & there's noway frankfurt with it's less than 1mill inhabitants are gonna combat london :dunno:

on the contrary joining the euro(currency) zone will mean serious competition to the dollar as the leading currency & new york as the center of trade. so I only see benefits really - for UK & for DK

:hug:

peace :D

That is a very 'slender' argument, ib13. Ignoring the very real price inflation occuring in countries joining the euro.

What will be the real benefit to the euro being the 'leading' currency?

If price inflation has occured in Euro countries, that means it's more expensive for us to travel there.

If we join the Euro, will our wage levels increase to take into account the possible price inflation here?

If mortgage payments go down(because of lower interest rates) will house prices go up? House prices are already ridiculously high, here in the UK.

I think the arguments for and against should be clearly presented to the public, other than the nonsensical "not having to change currency" story.

Though, if I thought it would have a serious effect on US unilateralism and foreign policy, I would vote for it today.

Hopefully then, the benefits would be spread to all, not just a chosen few.

Archived