The Mango Tree

Sarisin

If I was pressed to give my top five Thai restaurants in Bangkok, the Mango Tree would be in there ? maybe at the top. I like the location Soi Tantawan off Surawongse Road and not far from Patpong. You can dine indoors with the air-conditioning or on a pleasant evening, outdoors like we did.

During dinner there was traditional Thai music played by a trio of musicians and there were several nice performances by two lovely Thai dancers. Another reason to dine outside.

The food is among the best Thai food I have had. The authentic Thai cuisine served is divided into four distinct regional styles: The North, The Northeast, The Central, and The South. And, with each style comes varying degrees of spiciness with the Southern style the one that will definitely light your fire.

I visited the Mango Tree with a farang friend and eight Thai friends. We each selected a dish. I chose my favorite fish dish, plaa saam-li (cottonfish) with a mango-chile sauce. It was perfect. Honestly, I would be pressed to name all the other dishes we consumed, but each was delicious.

Our Thai hosts graciously picked up the tab for the dinner (and my friend and I paid for drinks later). But, I can tell you that the prices of the Thai fare at the Mango Tree are moderate to expensive.

Lastly, I would like to mention the Mango Tree is part of the Coca chain that offers that ?buy all the food and throw it in a pot? suki concept. Also, branches of the Mango Tree can be found in Tokyo and London.

Here are the particulars for the Mango Tree:

37 Soi Tantawan

Surawongse Road

Bangkok 10500

Tel: 02-236-1581

FAX: 02-238-2649

Mangotree@coca.com

Free parking is available adjacent to the restaurant. Reservations are a must Friday and Saturday nights. Open daily 11:30am until midnight. The Thai dancing show is 8:30pm ? 9:30pm.

Have you seen Seinfeld? You must be Bizarro-Bibblies!

I've read your opinions before on various bars and I've always had the opposite view!

I checked this place out earlier this year, on the urgings of a colleague who, it turns out, knew nothing. I was really looking forward to it and went with the girlfriend. From the outside, it looked promising - similar to The Lemontree or Cabbages and Condoms. But the food and service bore no comparison to those places, although the prices did - it was overpriced and, we agreed, very very average across a range of dishes. To me, with its location, it seemed to cater mostly to the first time tourist crowd.

Maybe I got it on a bad day, maybe you got it on a good one..

i was there around 2 years ago. probably i got a bad day. it was damn hot outside and everybody fled inside to the aircondition...except the traditional thai music band, who continued to play outside without any audience. the table-cloth was dirty, there was a tourist crowed from the nearby hotels and the food was just average, not as good as in many other restaurants i have visited in bangkok.

maybe it was just a bad day and i should give it another try.

hahaha, Bizarro-Bibblies. Love It!

Well, I'm sorry to say that our tastes differ, but I think that's what makes the world go round, eh?

Also, just like the bars, restaurant reviews depend or the reviewer's tastes, and, as we all know, restaurants have good nights and bad nights. I never said to take my views as gospel, but to go on your own and formulate your own views. Of course, if enough guys here say a place blows, chances are it really does blow.

Big Kev, I think you could easily get by with dinner and drinks for two under 1,000 Baht at The Mango Tree.

The last time i was in Soi Tantawan, about 11 years ago, the only noshery there was "The Barber Shop" I was staying at the Tawana Ramada just across Surawongse.The fare was a bit fishy, but the haircut was fine. Btw, as a hotel, I give a thumbs up. At that time, the Guest Relations Manager was a foxx. I reckon so.

"Considering I 'won' in August (I was the only entry) and the money was not given to me or KS for the Server Fund, I have to wonder."

Hmmm. Well, I won in July, and KS said he got the money from Al for the server fund. Oh, well.

"The last time i was in Soi Tantawan, about 11 years ago, the only noshery there was "The Barber Shop".."

Judging by the number of boy bars I passed on the way to the Mango Tree, there are plenty more places where you can get a nosh now..

(Does that work for American audiences? Probably not..Ahhh - look it up - it's worth it. wink.gif)

Archived