visa choices

Well to answer my own question I have just read teh link that Haltest posted.

Investment requirement has been changed to 10 million baht.

Retirement age has been changed to 60 years.

"I also read recently that the retirement age is now 50"

Source: visa page at www.mfa.go.th

" VISA ISSUANCE FOR TEMPORARY RESIDENCE [ NON-IMMIGRANT "O-A" (LONG STAY)]

This type of visa will be issued to applicants aged 50 years or above wishing to take retreat in the Kingdom at least for the period of one year.

I. QUALIFICATION OF THE APPLICNAT

A foreign national whose age is 50 years or above (on the date of submitting the application).

Not being prohibited from entering the Kingdom under the Immigration Act B.E. 2522 (A.D.1979).

Having no criminal record against the security of Thailand and the country of his/her nationality, or the country of his/her residence.

Having the nationality of or the residence in the country where his/her application is submitted.

Not having prohibitive diseases (Leprosy, Tuberculosis, Drug Addiction, Elephantiasis and Third step of Syphilis) as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No.14 (B.E. 2535).

Not being allowed to work in Thailand.

II. REQUIRED DOCUMENTS FOR VISA APPLICATION

A passport with validity not less than 18 months

Three copies of visa application form completely filled out.

Three passport-sized photos of the applicant taken within

the past six months.

A personal Data Form

A copy of bank statement showing a deposit at the amount equal to not less than 800,000 Baht or an income certificate (an original copy) with a monthly income of not less than 65,000 Baht, or a deposit account plus a monthy income totalling not less than 800,000 Baht.

In the case of the bank statement, a letter of guarantee from the bank (an original copy) is to be shown as well.

Verification stating that the applicant has no criminal record issued from the country of his/her nationality or residence (the verification shall be valid for not more than three months and should be notorized by notary organs or the applicant?s diplomatic/consular mission).

A medical certificate issued from the country where the application is submitted, showing no prohibitive diseases as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No.14 (B.E. 2535) (the certificate shall be valid for not more than three months and should be notorized by notary organs or the applicant?s diplomatic/consular mission).

In the case that the applicant wishes to have his/her spouse stay together in the Kingdom but the spouse is not qualified for the ?O-A? visa, their marriage certificate shall also be produced as evidence and should be notorized by notary organs or the applicant?s diplomatic/consular mission. (The spouse will be considered for temporary stay under category ?O?). "

I went further down the page and found that there is a difference for Permanent Residence and Temporary Residence for 1 year.

Happy to see thatit's still 3 million for one year(?). and that someone can confirm that I didn't dream up the 50.

"A copy of bank statement showing a deposit at the amount equal to not less than 800,000 Baht or an income certificate (an original copy) with a monthly income of not less than 65,000 Baht, or a deposit account plus a monthy income totalling not less than 800,000 Baht."

Do these amounts have to be deposited into a Thai bank, or can they be in a foreign bank?

Can the retirement visa be obtained prior to coming to Thailand?

Thanks

Believe the money can be in your home country if that is where you are making application from - check the Royal Thai Embassy web site for your country. Quite sure the US site says this. But the money must be destined for a Thai bank at some point after your arrival. And it does seem that applications can now be made in your home country - but only knowledge is from the web sites as have not done this.

Thanks. Got the following from the thaiembdc.org/index.htm website:

"Having in possession of money amounting not less than 800,000 Baht or monthly income of 65,000 Baht or saving and annual income totalling not less than 800,000 Baht. The said amount must eventually be transferred to any bank in Thailand."

The website may not be totally updated since they state the required age for a retirement visa is 55.

"Having in possession of money amounting not less than 800,000 Baht or monthly income of 65,000 Baht or saving and annual income totalling not less than 800,000 Baht. The said amount must eventually be transferred to any bank in Thailand."

"The website may not be totally updated since they state the required age for a retirement visa is 55."

Required age for retirement is 50 (was 55 some time ago)

Once in Thailand on a retirement visa (Temporary Resident O-A code) you will need to report to the immigration office of the province or police station in aliens resident area before the end of 90 days and every subsequent 90 days.

In case you choose for the 800.000 baht you will then need to prove transfer to a thai bank of that amount. After one year stay you will need to submit a request for extension with the same money requirement.

I have been told to put 800.000 baht in a thai account and to leave the money untouched, so that you prove every year you have that amount in the bank. For living expenses you then could withdraw whatever you need with ATM card, provided you have sufficient funds/income overseas.

As for the 65.000 baht embassy papers refer to an original copy (!) of an income certificate without mention of such amounts being transferred every month.

I will take the retirement method next januari but have not choosen yet between the 800k prove/transfer or the 65.000 baht certificate. I don't want 65.000 baht to be transferred each month.

Archived