fiancee visa after a Thai wedding??

Grabii

""Maybe. More likely up to her. Preferably a mutual agreement, however.""

Yes that would be preferable.

""The Buddhist wedding ceremony is not a legal marriage in Thailand, nor is a wedding ceremony required to have a legal marriage in Thailand. A legal marriage in Thailand consists solely of signing the required documents at the amphur office, no wedding ceremony required""

Yes I'm very familiar with the Amphur process cause I did that once. No Thai ceremony.

This time I want to do it right.

""I wonder if it's possible to get married in the USA without a wedding ceremony? The only marriage certificates I've ever seen (not many) indicate that a wedding ceremony has been performed by a person authorized to perform such a ceremony""

Yes it is. I have witnessed two such weddings. You go to the local courthouse and the judge performs the marriage. There is about the same amount of paperwork as in Thailand but it a little more formal as the Judge ask a few questions and you say the "I dos" aloud. Only takes about 15 minutes

""Not necessarily! Possibly serious and sincere about making some money, but not necessarily serious and sincere about her relationship with the guy supplying the money. I trust that this statement is not the only basis for your decision to for forward with a marriage to your fiancee""?

Yes it is not my only basis. There are many other things going into my decision. Like I said this is my second marriage. I've learned a lot from past mistakes.

I looked at the latest processing times at the various regional centers and as usual Nebraska is really lagging behind. It looks as if 129Fs are taking about 120+ days from receipt of the petition. You might add a couple of weeks to this as this estimate was before the annual audit began when things really grind to a snail's pace. After approval by Nebraska add the time in transit to the national visa center and then forwarding to the embassy in BKK. Conservatively total time.... 6 months till approval of the visa. If you lived in the part of the country serviced by the Texas Center, processing times look like about 2-3 weeks total till approval of the I-129F. Amazing at the difference in processing times between two different centers. Two years ago my petition was received in Bangkok 5 weeks after I initially mailed it. How times have changed.

Sanuk,

"Yes it is {possible to get married in the USA without a wedding ceremony}. I have witnessed two such weddings. You go to the local courthouse and the judge performs the marriage."

Whether performed by a judge at a courthouse, or by a religious leader in a church, or by either at any other venue, I nevertheless consider it a wedding ceremony. My question was thinking about just signing a document and maybe answering a question or two. Having said that, the next thing that comes to mind is the question - OK, then, how many questions does it take to change a paper-signing event into a wedding ceremony?

Maybe I have a false impression about what happens at the amphur office when a couple goes in to sign marriage papers - can you tell us more about what takes place?

"Yes {being taken to meet family and friends in the village} is not my only basis. There are many other things going into my decision."

I was sure that was the case for you. I made my comment because, by itself, being taken home by a girl is not a good way to distinguish an honest girl from a gold-digger. I apologize if I seemed to imply anything negative about your situation by my observation.

"Like I said this is my second marriage. I've learned a lot from past mistakes."

My 1st marriage to a Thai woman turns out to have been a mistake. She wasn't a gold-digger in the usual sense, money was not her primary objective, but she was using me to get out of Thailand. I missed the clues, probably because I was only looking for the more obvious signs of pure greed. I hope I've learned what I'll need to know for the next time!

Again, good luck and best wishes to you and your fiancee.

JEff

""Maybe I have a false impression about what happens at the amphur office when a couple goes in to sign marriage papers - can you tell us more about what takes place? ""

I did this in the Eightys so I forget the details. It took place at the Bangkhen (sp?) office near Patpong. And no I didn't meet her at Patpong but rather Thermae if that's any better. What I remember it was hot (this took place in May) and the room was rather dark with no airconditioning. We sat in front of a very casually dressed woman at an old wooden desk. The lady spoke Thai and I could only understand some of it. I showed my passport she filled out some forms. The woman asked some question to my wife like are you sure you want to marry? She answered yes and I answered yes to a similiar question. We both signed our names. We were given a Marriage certificate and were on our way in less then a half hour.

Archived