Do you LOS-ise your life in farangland?

radioman

After eight Stella I try and barfine the barmaids,Wai the bouners when they throw me out, order an India in Thai, tell the taxi driver to "Leo Kwha" when he gets to my house and sit cross legged in the middle of my living room watching inane cartoons at all hours.

Cheers

up the Latics

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't know if this has been covered before but thought it might be fun to hear what you folks that are non-resident do to fight the lack-of-LOS blues.

I have no problems with living in Thailand and have little that reminds me of dreary old England, I certainly make no effort to Anglicise(sp) my life here. Except food. Well it's not me, I couldn't care less, it's my missus, she will insist that I must miss England in some way (she's mad you see). So she insists on cooking farang food. Now a disclaimer because I would not want to start a flame war by saying that English food has anything to particularly endear itself to anyone. If only she wasn't such a good cook, seriously, Apple pie and custard better than me Mum's or bacon butties with HP sauce. It's not every day, just once in a while I get these little surprises, today it was chocolate sponge with afternoon tea. She started out phoning my Mum for the recipes, now they do it by email.

It just got me wondering how you folks hold the memory of LOS in between times.

Do you eat Kao-tom for breakfast?, do you smile and utter a jaunty "mai bpen rai' when the dog chews your unread newspaper?, do you maybe wai the neighbours?. Has anybody tried to BF the waitress in their local. (Maybe not!)

How about a few other things. Is your spare room now decorated like a short time hotel? Thrown out the kettle for a pump pot? Do you complain when in Sainsbury's/Safeway/wherever that you can't find the dried squid?

Eager minds are waiting to hear how you pass those months and days until the next assault.

M.

Not guilty!!!!! Los is Los and home is home and never the twain shall meet. The only concessions i make is my thaitemptations calender and the pleasure i get from seeing the shocked and envious expressions on my co-workers' faces when I recount my adventures. Even then only if they goad me into it with some ill-informed comment about my travels. Apart from that there is the Nana board of couse. Call me crazy but I actually enjoy being in farangland most of the time. But i do enjoy my holidays smile.gif

Beleve it or not LOS teach me the "mai pen rai" attitude and now I manage my stress level much better than before.

When I go in a other town I always check if they have a Thai restaurant and go eat there everytime I can't.

I also cook Thai food at home, I bought a rice cooker and a aluminium pot with straw basket to cook khao kniaw (sticky rice).

I live work and earn in farangland but my head is in LOS all the time. If I were able to go and work in my field in LOS I bet you that I will be out of farangland at the speed of light smile.gif

Guest lazyphil

<<It just got me wondering how you folks hold the memory of LOS in between times>>

Firstly I got me Mrs. with me in farangland, which is a major bonus in life!!

Apart from this our living room is adorned with Thai stuff to remind the both of us of los. We've got one of those embossed tapestry things on the wall (about 5 feet by 3!) a wooden elephant calving on the wall along with a Buddha shelf (or whatever you call them) picture of the king and queen. We have a load of broadleaf tropical plants one of which if very big. So far littlun has little interest in tearing it to bits!

Also we've got a giant shell on the shelf with some strange bottle with huge pickled chilies up there too. As for the kitchen, well its stuffed with Thai condiments. Practically everything we cook is done in a wok we bought back with us.

I personally cant live without this stuff. Yeah its a little weird maybe!!

I like the point about managing stress. Actually I doubt I could handle life in Thailand if it was anywhere other than Thailand. But then again I think age plays it part in it as well.

Maybe if we all take some of the 'mai bpen rai' attitude to our home countries then this place really is contributing to world good.

M.

Oh dear Sileak, you need help bad my man. I suggest a two month vacation in a place where you can forget everything but personal satisfaction. Oh yeah, and definitely a part in Rusty's next production. :p That should help.

The last time I was in England I took a taxi, never again talk about peng!, what got me was that I had to think about where I wanted to go and did that in Thai, of which I speak very little but of course I use it all the time in taxi's, and then had to self translate it to English. I guess the transmogrification is starting.

M.

Archived