Silver Dragon - NEP

StoneSoup

'Noticed no one has posted on this new bar, so I figured I'd give a quick report.

This is the newest bar opened at NEP, right at the top of the escalator - positioned between Rock Hard/Vixens, and Mandarin.

'First opened on Thursday 10 October (so the girls told me). Managed by the same French dyke biker chick who manages Mandarin. Crown Group prices - 110 baht beer, 90 baht lady drink (cola). I forgot to inquire about barfine.

Brand new place, basically another "shotgun" bar - one long stage, surrounded by seating. Mirrors everywhere. Dekserves in silvery evening gowns, dancers wear either a light blue or black two piece - shorts and a vest. About 85% of dancers went topless.

Having watched al lot of new go-go's opening over the years, I give this one high marks. No grandmas, no hippos - a few modestly average looking girls, but a lot of 7's and 8's - maybe a couple of 9's. The girls were actually DANCING - grinding and weaving - not the standard bg shuffle. A couple/three of the girls started doing this simultaneous pumping grind in unison - on their own, and having a great time - the back two basically shadowing the lead girl gesture by gesture - with maybe 10 cm spacing between them. For a spontaneous performance, it looked really good - to the point that I got up, went up to the lead girl, and stuck a 50 baht note in her boot. A table full of Chinese men gave me (well - probably her) a big round of applause.

The go-go pole shere are zig-zag poles, not straight "firestation" poles. This seems to bring out more animated dancing.

They have a huge (by go-go bar standards) DJ booth sunk into the wall at the corner opposite the entrance way - it can probably seat 10 people, but is almost invisible, behind a mirror, with only a window opening out into the bar.

Music was good - typical pop, some Springsteen, some Dire Straits, etc.

The Mamasan came up and introduced herself to me, and confirmed that this place was owned by the same folks who own Mandarin, New Wave, and the Big Blue pool joint. She said something about a new set of silvery uniforms that are being tailor-made for the dancers - to be seen later in the month. She also pointed out to me a curious circular mounting of ring eyelets above the dancing stage - indicating that a show is being planned, and that it will feature some sort of "suspended in the air" action. 'About time somebody tried something different!!!!

I entered about 9:00 pm, and made my way to a spot as far away as I could get from the entrance. I was "made" before I even sat down, with the first girl to reach me asking "where's X (my gf)?" - it turns out she used to work with my gf. The rule here (at least for the moment) appears to be that girls are not allowed to solicit drinks - although one perched on either side of me, in light contact, no one made a peep about drinks. But when I offered, the drinks appeared in a nanosecond. Still, I like the rule.

Bottom line: This place is clean, fresh, and well-staffed. Crown Group prices, but - what the hell. Very friendly, enthusiastic, and they have plans to try to be competitive. Well worth a visit.

"Let the good times roll!!!"

The Battling Betta

I made it into the Silver Dragon last Saturday night along with Topcat, Sarisin, and couple of others. Nice setup with a well lit stage, good looking girls who work their way down the stage instead of growing roots in one spot, a fun good attitude, and just for Sarisin, a nice bathroom. Hey StoneSoup did you see the drain in the middle of the dance floor?

The only big problem I saw was that the speakers were placed around the seating area, aimed at the patrons not the dancers, and playing music so loudly that you couldn't hear yourself think let alone hold a conversation with one of those cute dancers or servers.

Over all I give it about a nine on a ten point scale for Thai go-go clubs.

Harry

Great review StoneSoup - you should speak to KS about doing gogo reviews on the paysite. :)

I don't have much to add (good words here too from HS) except that the place was really rocking around midnight when they put on the Thai music. The mamasan is an old friend with experience and as mentioned management has been around and knows what they are doing.

Really liked the place.

PS. I guess I should mention this. About 8 months ago I bought the owner a drink while in Voodoo. He did not have a chance to reciprocate until the other night in Silver Dragon. Reciprocate he did by buying about three rounds for not only me, but my friends as well. Ah, that's what I mean by good management! ::

Yes very good review.

For me I have visited the twice and the experience has provided a good example of what I have always thought about the Bangkok nightlife.

On Saturday evening i visited with a friend and contrary to what the other posters have noted we felt the selection of girls to be poor. It seemed to us that some ladies rugby club had taken over for the evening and were using the stage for limbering up exercises for their forwards before the big match.

Heck my ass is smaller and firmer than at least half a dozen on display. Not that I can see it mind you.

I Do not recall what time we were there.

I revisited again on wednesday after the woodstock quiz and the place could not have been more different imo. Many attractive girls and the rugby team had moved on.

The girls that came to sit with us were pretty, fun and attentive

An enjoyable interlude.

When people ask me which is my favorite bar/ agogo. I always say it depends on the evening and by the look of this thread the time of the evening.

Certainly i have my favorites because the music is more to my tastes or I might feel more at home a la 'Cheers' This is not likely to be the case for the occaisonal visitor.

The best idea is to try them and find out for yourself

Archived