The translating/interpreting alternative

Many guys here apparently speak good Thai and say they're sick of teaching so I was wandering if they've considered translating and/or interpreting.

Here in Japan many foreigners make a good living translating Japanese to English and also enjoy the freedom of working when they want, where they want. (Hello Thailand!)

What are the options in Thailand for this type of work? Good money? Plenty of work?

"I don't think this type of work is a good idea for Westerners. They rather hire Thais to do the work with a much cheaper fee. There are a lot of new English major graduates looking for work all over the place. Not to mention the ones already in the market."

A bit surprised by your response GTG.

I can understand hiring Thais at a cheaper rate as an interpreter but from a quality perspective, native English speaking translators, as they're working INTO their language, would definately have the edge over a non-native speaker.

So who translates into English company annual reports, marketing material, electric and machinery manuals, homepages, government propaganda, etc. etc.?

Thailand is not Japan. How much demand is there? Most items manufactured here are from Japan, US, European companies so manuals can and have been made in their home country. The only translation needed is into Thai and a native Thai is surly more adept at that than anyone else. So the working into a language is only into Thai here (in most cases).

It is rare to find a farang who can translate very well AND who is not already involved full-time and more at another job. I do happen to know of one farang girl who translates part-time, but she is one of the most fluent-in-Thai farangs I've ever encountered, and I mean in reading and writing, also. Married to a Thai man and perfectly happy. She only does it on the side, though, part-time. Her case is very rare.

Says Siam Sam:

It is rare to find a farang who can translate very well AND who is not already involved full-time and more at another job.

This is what I've found too. Thai translaters are easier to find and get the job done better with less pay. I have yet to meet a farang who can translate Thai well enough that we would like to pay for the service.

Siam Sam, could you please PM me your farang friend you mentioned and her fee to me? Maybe we might want to try her service.

Dude, you ever do research on Thai companies in general?

There just ain't that many companies who actually bother putting out English annual reports.

Still wondering? Look at an average Thai company website. Their window to the international world. Enuff said.

<<burp>>

Perhaps the Thais are good at translating English to Thai, but I have yet to see quality translations from Thai to English. Very rarely.

Perhaps what needs to be done is the initial translation to English performed by a Thai, and then the entire document proofread and copyedited by a native speaker. But of course this would cost far too much, so they might as well keep releasing documents littered with basic second grade spelling errors. ::

"Perhaps what needs to be done is the initial translation to English performed by a Thai, and then the entire document proofread and copyedited by a native speaker. But of course this would cost far too much..."

Au contraire. There are translation services in Bangkok featuring native-speaking Editors to do just what you suggest, and the companies' prices are very competitive. I know this from first-hand experience.

Archived