Fleeing Bali to LOS ?

Pom_Jao_Choo

What do you think will the thousands of tourists quiting Balie due to the bombing have a considerable impact on the numbers visiting LOS ?

Or do you supose these people are more likely to cancel SEA for this year ?

Do you supose they would be more the types to go to Cambodia, Vietnam or some other destination in favor of Thailand ?

No one can say for sure untill we see bookings changing but anyone with thoughts ?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank's I will take a look at those threads if I have time.

I'm really not fretting over the well being of the Indonesians actually though I wish them the best fortunes possible. What concerns me most however is ME! And my vacation.

I have actually been selfishly hoping that Thailand would have record low numbers of tourists this year.

Thanks ib13 that is interesting. Hua Hin is a second choice for these tourists you say. So its fair to assume that we are not talking about the types of people who would be pursuing our favourite night time sanuking areas ?

And what do you think of cancelled up coming bookings for the next few month's ? Do you supose people will just generally cancell out or possibly consider LOS ?

WORLDWIDE TRAVEL WARNING

Following recent developments, including the terrorist bombing of a night club in Bali on 12 October, UK nationals world-wide should be aware of the risk of indiscriminate attacks on civilian targets in public places, including tourist sites.

TERRORISM

There is a general threat to Western interests in parts of South East Asia. Following the terrorist attacks on Bali on 12 October British nationals, in particular those unfamiliar with local conditions, should remain alert, take sensible precautions for their personal safety, and should be extra vigilant in public places.

We believe that Thailand is one of a number of countries where there is an increased threat to visible British institutions and organisations from global terrorism. Over past years there have been a series of minor bomb attacks and other violent incidents in the provinces of Yala, Pattani and Narathiwat in southern Thailand. Violent incidents and minor bomb attacks have continued from 2001 into 2002. They are not thought to be terrorist inspired, but the settling of local business differences. They are not aimed at foreigners, but there is a danger of being caught in the wrong place at the wrong time. Visitors to Thailand are advised to consider whether or not they should travel to, or through these areas.

Brit gov advisory

I think there are going to be a lot of cancellations

I can confirm to you that Thailand is gaining many extra tourists from Bali cancellations, When ever Bali has had trouble in the past this has been the case, as I mentioned in another thread already.

Thailand's bookings where a bit down this high season so this should balance things out for Thailand's tourism numbers.

After 9/11 there was many cancellations in the days and weeks afterwards though after a few months Thailand saw record numbers in the later part of the high season, due to cancellations of other places not considered to be safe. After the Bali bombing I have not had any cancellations at all or heard of anyone having any cancellations out of the ordinary.

Also worth mentioning that Australian resorts and some Pacific island resorts also are getting extra bookings as well.

Remember what happened to Phuket in 1998 after the brush fires in Bali and the unrest in the Southern Phillipines. All of the hotels in Phuket became fully booked and rates quadrupled overnight because they ended up getting all of the tourists who were afraid to go elsewhere in SEA. Since then, hotel rates have not gone back to their previous levels and Phuket changed for the worst.

Archived