Tod Katin

I am interested to know of anyones experience of your TG partners family "funding" the renovations of their local Temple?

The reason I am asking is because my wifes family (mothers side) will be funding the renovation of their local temple and the formal ceremony will be held over this weekend and I am trying to extract what actually goes on??

From what I can gather they will give more than 50,000 Baht to the temple and this figure depends and relies on how many family members participate...

The main reason for doing this is to Make Merit....

Comments?

Sanukboot.

PS We (i.e my wife and I) are not being hit up for Baht to help fund the temple.

If I am not mistaken, it is to gain merit, and probably some status as well. Here in the USA, at the Wat where I study Thai, there is a wall with the names of the major contributors, and how much they gave. I think a lot of churches and synaguages do the same here.

Well at least someone has responded. There will be a piece of paper for everyones name and amount contributed but still cannot work out where this is placed...i.e is it on the wall like your saying or is it kept secret in the books somewhere???

Also would be very interested in the actual procedure over the 2 days as I will not be there to witness it...

SB.

Not really sure either. I know at the few Wats I have been to here in the states, There is usually a large sign type thing which tells who the main donors were/are. I have seen this type of thing in hospitals, and churches etc, sometimes with the dollar amount noted. In certain Synaguages, I am told, that your seat reflexs how much you gave. The more you gave, the closer to the front. I would imagine that this paper you mention is somehow displayed someplace, at least for awhile. I did visit a temple years ago, and a rather large "spirit house" was donated and maintained by a local woman, who's name was on a small plaque for all to see. I am told this is a way of making merit, but also allowing others to see, which provides status and credibility. No idea how much of that is really true. If you haven't been hit up yet, then o.k. :) But if you are helping her family (which is o.k. in my book, if it matters :)) then I would assume that is where part of your money is going. :)

Archived