Monitoring Yahoo! chat groups question

Palatkik

It all depends how you access the internet. With the old proxy server they couldn't do much apart from limit port access and ip address access and log all activity.

The new generation of proxy type servers, ISA server for example give them a lot more control and logging capabilities, but I am sure they can't tell the contents of the chat and any video feeds they can just know that you are talking on Yahoo or on MSN messenger because everyone connects to a central server so its easy to see. Most LANS will block these ports to stop people using chat programs.

There are programs out there that will monitor everything, keystrokes, grab screenshots etc that can be set up on individual machines. But in the main I would say that ISPs don't monitor it and even companies can only establish that you used the software and can't tell what you did while using it.

Your ISP is obliged by law to keep a record of which sites you visit. Your company will almost certainly have a firewall which will log the sites you visit. Unless the site you connect to is using a secure connection (indicated in IE by a yellow lock in the status bar) then whatever is being sent between the web site and your pc will be transmitted in clear text and could be intercepted, whether it be a chat site, your hotmail account or whatever, by your network administrators.

One solution that I use, is the commercial service provided by www.idzap.com. Its a proxy server that also provides a secure, encrypted connection between you and the web site that you're browsing. Costs 15$US a quarter. Cheap if your job could be in jeopardy.

Do also bear in mind that your PC holds a lot of data about where you have been on the internet too. There are a large number of programs that will clean up the traces - historykill and window washer are just two that have a good reputation.

>but I am sure they can't tell the contents of the chat and any video feeds they can just know that you are talking on Yahoo ....Most LANS will block these ports to stop people using chat programs.

Thanks guys for the response. I was thinking along the same lines as haltest. I cannot imagine how a LAN admin or ISP could monitor what you are actually viewing on a web cam fo example. If anyone can advise otherwise I'd appreciate the info.

Cheers,

whether or not your employer can virtualy look over your shoulder the average administrator has a better idea at how you spend your time than you have the ability to conceal your network activity.

Not to mention your employer also will know how you should be spending your time. So if the network logs show that your workstation is connecting to an encrypted proxy they question is not so much what you are hiding, but why.

It boils down your relationship with your employer.

AG

>It boils down your relationship with your employer.

I appreciate your comments, and understand the employer relationship issue.

My main question was rather meant to ask if the technology was there to monitor chat group content and web cam activity or not? If so how's it done?

Cheers,

I don't know why someone would screw with their work situation...

Yes there are programs that will monitor all traffic. Including video streams.

Was involved with some guys installing firewalls and there's some pretty nifty graphic recognition software that can flag nude shots (based on flesh tones and percentage of the picture blah blah blah).

Stuff's not cheap, so if your not working for a first class firm I truly doubt they've got the stuff.

<<burp>>

Archived