No January Return Available

Plainsdrifter

Have something of a problem that I never encountered before.

Shopping for my next trip find that my departure of December 11th is no problem, but cannot find a return before January 8th. Expedia has but the fare jumps to something like USD2,000. Am flying from JFK.

Anyone knows where the problem is? Is it the BKK-NRT portion or the NRT-JFK.

Like I said can get, as of yesterday, a return on the 8th but need to be back by the 5th or 6th. And the fare for the 8th was 1164.

Taipei (EVA), Seoul (Asiana), and Hong Kong (Cathay Pacific) come to mind among the alternatives I've tried that don't involve NRT. EVA flies into Newark. Can't remember about the other 2 but I'm nearly certain they both do JFK.

Says TEDBKK:

Taipei (EVA), Seoul (Asiana), and Hong Kong (Cathay Pacific) come to mind among the alternatives I've tried that don't involve NRT. EVA flies into Newark. Can't remember about the other 2 but I'm nearly certain they both do JFK.

Asiana and Cathay fly into JFK but you can forget about CX having cheap fares during the time period.

Says Plainsdrifter:

Thanks for your response.

I checked UAL and NWA. The outgoing to BKK is no problem. On the BKK-NRT-JFK no flights are available. If Japan has this period until the 5th maybe I should try to avoid NRT...not an easy thing.

You can't avoid NRT of KIX if you fly NWA or UA. You might want to try flying SQ via TPE and SIN to get to BKK but that means you are going to have to get a cheap flight to LAS or LAX. You could fly them across the Atlantic though. China Air may work for you they usually have the cheapest fares. if you must fly thrugh NRT your best bet may be JAL.

I sometimes find that during these times booking an open jaw usually works where you book the departure from BKK to the States.

I was able to do this and bought 2 tickets for $1250 instead of one ticket for $1200 to leave in DEC and come back in JAN. I plan on using my returns so it really works out for me.

do not get confused about all the advises you got. you have to know what you want.

flying over the atlantic to europe and then to asia usually costs more than flying over the pacific. but i just say usually; i had recently another experience. but anyway, i guess the flights from bkk to europe are as full as to usa over new year.

in my experience with UA there is no need to go through narita/tokyo for a low airfare. you can get the same low fare for flights with connections on star alliance carriers. for example (without looking up their flightschedule on their website) they have flights taipei-san francisco, hongkong-los angeles (i have been on both of them), hongkong-chicago and for sure others without narita. UA only operates one flight narita-bangkok per day and it's a 777 with a lot of businness class seats as well (reducing coach seats); just a couple of days ago i was lucky to get the last seat....and it is still off season in thailand.

I forgot to mention if you have to fly UA or NWA sometimes it is cheaper to buy a ticket to SIN and then flying a cheap carrier from SIN-BKK usually about $150-200. Usually means that you have to spend a night in SIN when you arrive usually at 22:00 and when you return which is usually a 6am flight on the US carriers.

Archived