Thailand and Myanmar

yesterday i saw a very interesting report on the dutch tv about the problems between thailand and myanmar.

i dont know wheter this topic is against the new policy on the forum so i will wait KS's answer before i continue..

quote:

Originally posted by Khun Sanuk:

Hi,

Don't know what these problems are, but if they are political I would prefer you not talk about them.

Sanuk!

there was nothing said about taxin nor something that would not favour him or thailand. and the problems were in this case economical.

[ February 06, 2002: Message edited by: P ]

Well to continue about what was on tv.

Myanmar army supports and somtimes forces the farmers in the golden triangle to produce opium for the production of drugs. heroin and amphetamin were the most common products and the army's income was 50% from these drugs. and also the bordering chinese province had big incomes from the drugs which made local economies grow much faster and big projects in the infrastructure were financed by the drugs money.

the thai goverment spokesman mentioned about 500-700million amphetamin pills to be smuggled into thailand from the myanmar border. he complained about the affection it had on the health and other problems.

the thai goverment started to support the rebbels near the border that fought against the drugs and the myanmar army. the tension run high and border fights started.

USA and her war on drugs policy have made them take their own steps into the region. this year the USA has send militairy advisers and special forces to support the rebbels and the thai army against myanmar. however the CIA reported chinese generals on the myanmar side helping the myanmar army.

both China and USA might want to expend the power in the region and if tensions between China and USA happen to run high they might decide to fight it out elsewhere. if that happens it can turn into a major war between thailand and myanmar.

this would for sure have an affect on the tourism in LOS.

It's time for the US gov't to admit the "war" on drugs is unwinnable. Sadly, the rhetoric seems to get more shrill everyday. I wonder how many more lives have been destroyed by this war than the drugs. And when we talk about sparking a regional conflict to boot, it's really time to back off.

Archived