Thai Film festival

spirit_of_town_hall

The Nation had a report with pictures about this "London Thai Film Festival".

The man behind the MAGIC. Published on Dec 12, 2002

The first ever Thai film festival in London was held last week and met with great success.

Meet Prinn Panitchpakdi...

Prinn Panitchpakdi, the man behind the recent first Thai Film Festival to be held in London, is making a name for himself. Son of Supachai Panitchpakdi, the director-general of World Trade Organisation, his aim was to showcase the growing Thai film industry to English audiences known for their addiction to good cinema.

The event, which was held from November 28 to December 5, saw the screening of 15 Thai films, all of which were welcomed by the English.

"We had a pretty good reception from the crowd. We had a full house on the opening night and the first film to be shown, 'Mekhong Fullmoon Party' went down extremely well," says Prinn. "We are quite satisfied with the organisation of the first festival."

The Nation contacted Prinn just a couple of days after the end of the festival, which included such movies as 'Dang Bireley and Young Gangsters (2499)', 'Satang' and 'Tigress of the King River'.

Prinn, who lives in England, is grateful for the support of Tom Waller, the producer of 'Butterfly Man'. Walker backed his proposal at the Department of Export Promotion, which agreed to sponsor the show.

"We didn't expect to make a profit as this is essentially an event to promote Thai exports, including films and culture. We chose to do it this year as we feel that Thailand now has enough top quality films that are suitable for the international stage."

After earning his degrees in economics and international relations from the London School of Economics (LSE) three years ago, Prinn is currently working towards his Master's in Economics and Finance, also at the LSC.

"I still consider banking as my main career. So far I have worked in the investment banking field at ABN Amro Bank and Merrill Lynch. But I am also interested in the media. I am convinced that Thailand can be part of the international scene providing we do it properly."

Prinn and his friends have already set up their own London company, Ears Music Management, and are working hard on promoting oriental talents in singing, modelling and films. He has personally organised a few major functions, including the launch in England of SYLQ, an all-gal oriental outfit.

"I love Thai films. I have many favourites and 'Monrak Transistor' is one of them," says the young entrepreneur who cites as his favourite English language movies 'Vanilla Sky', 'Sliding Doors', 'The Truth about Cats and Dogs' and 'Shakespeare in Love'.

He is proud of his accomplishment in bringing Thai films to London.

"I still feel very attached to this project. It's the first big and international festival I've organised for my own country".

The organisers selected the films based on a number of criteria. Their aim, says Prinn, was to bring together a variety of genres, incorporating comedy, horror, drama, eroticism and history. Among the films selected to showcase traditional Thai values were 'Kwan Riam' and 'Kun Pan'.

The festival received positive coverage from the London-based media, with reviews appearing in the Evening standard and The Guardian as well as on TV and radio channels such as TNT, Sight and Sound and the BBC World Service.

Thai films have regularly been screened at the annual London Film Festival.

Says Prinn: "It [the festival] always gives Thai films a stage, but this 100 per cent Thai festival will highlight our talent for movie-making even more as we are not competing with other countries for attention."

He recognises he is lucky to have parents who support his projects.

"My parents let me do what I want to do and never interfere with my decisions. I really appreciate their giving me this amount of freedom. But I also get a lot of inspiration and examples from the way they lead their lives and the excellent way in which they carry themselves both at home and in public. It's an example for me to follow and I respect it."

"My father has been my greatest supporter and has also set me a good example. I want to follow certain things he does but I'm still undecided about a career in politics. Right now, I want to educate myself through work and study. Once I've accomplished that goal, I will think more about what I plan to do later in life."

After he completes his studies and gains some work experience in London, Prinn intends to return home.

"My aim is to return to Thailand and work there."

Suchela Phachaiyapoom The Nation

The Thai film festival here in London was indeed great. When I went to see 'full moon party' I was surrounded by ca. 150 young Thais. It felt like Major Ekemai without the King's anthem. But by far the best movie was 'butterfly man'. Probably based on a million true stories.

Archived