Chinese New Year

stumpy

No, she sleeps for about 6 hours at night now,

I'm only stating what others would really like to say anyway.

I felt I was being reserved and polite anyway, compared with how I really feel.....

I'm hinting at Tibet again..... Bastards!

Six hours. Not bad! Especially if your wife gets up for the feed, and lets you snooze.

Say, how is the Dali Lama's medical condition? I haven't heard much since the initial symptoms were reported (lump in the abdomen).

I haven't heard anything recently. BTW as this thread is about Chinese new year, what year is it and what was last year (bound to be a question or two on it in the quiz tomorrow)?

quote:

Don't get me wrong I'm not perfect ( far from it) and neither is anybody else but the Chinese do have alot of catching up to do in the world of manners... From living and working in BKK to working and living in China was one of the biggest culture shocks I have ever had...

Savaloy,

I worked for a few years in Hongkong and in Shanghai. I agree that Chinese behavior seems to be strange for us who come from the West. I believe part of their 'rudeness' is due to the fact that they are always looking for ways to earn money. Another part could be the political system in which they live and grew up.

I think the Chinese culture is very profit oriented and the more China opens up, the more this is visible to the outside word. This attitude is also a blessing. Most Chinese are much more flexible than other Asian cultures. They adopt to new challenges very fast.

Most of my many years in the Far East I have spent in Japan. Right now I'm living here again. I can really say that I like Japan but sometimes I wish the Japanese had a bit more of the Chinese 'rudeness' and approach to change. Economically things would look much better over here.

Anyway, everybody sees people in foreign countries with different eyes. It's always a matter of each persons's perception.

jp1

My ex sister in law, is/was one of the luvvie duvvie brigade in that she doesn't hate anyone, very tolerant of people. A few years ago, she backpacked round the world, one of the places she visited was China. She came back a changed woman, calling the chinese the most rude, ignorant B#$#@@ that she had ever met in her life. She couldn't walk past a Chinese restaurant without going into a tirade of how rude and obnoxious they were.

This year is year of the horse, in fact this time it is the year of the Black Horse

The years run in the following sequence and there are 12 of them, if you are too lazy to count. Last year was year of the snake, next year is the year of the sheep.

Rat, Ox, Tiger, Hare, Dragon, Snake, Horse, Sheep, Monkey, Rooster, Dog and Boar.

It is Year 4699 by Chinese calendar.

The system runs in a cycle of 60 years and this latest cycle commenced in 1984.

Archived