Thai cooking class

I'm curious about the 1 day cooking classes I see through different sites. The most common one I see is just a day trip out of town where you prepare and eat a meal for about $122 USD. For me, I would prefer something local to BKK over a several day period where the focus would be not just cooking 1 meal but the school on regional types, ingredients, purchase and prep. As I love Thai food, it would be an extra bonus to invest in this type of opportunity to take home with the other memories.

I have done a complete search as a paid board member and there doesn't appear to be much on this topic.

Any info appreciated

I to have done one of these cooking classes but in Phuket at the Boat house . It was a good day but the class was so so,

the following week I payed a bg 100 baht each day to take me to the markets buy the food go back to her place and cook it, she had 4 girls live there so I always got enough to feed all of them, they where happy and I learnt how to make real Thai food and got a look into the life of the girls. :)

I've done the one run by the Oriental Hotel, it lasts for a week but you can just do the days you're interested in. Enjoyed the course but felt slightly fustrated because it was all demonstrations with no 'hands-on'. They have a good website with details.

Hi norcal,

Old Hippie (a mod here) did some research on this for SanukStock. There is a place above 'Foodland" on Suk soi 5 that sounds like just what your looking for. I know there is a restaurant up there that I've eaten at (Elvis impersonator show, when I went there....kind of strange, but food was OK), and maybe this is the place, during the daytime, where this occures. Don't know, but you might want to try and PM him for details.

HT

• 3 weeks later...

About 1 year ago I made a search in the Internet and found these cooking lessons at this restaurant above Foodlands in Soi3. But before I accepted a deal there I first wanted to try the food, just eating there. A big restaurant, but I was the only customer there, and the food seemed not so very exciting to me. So I cancelled these lessons.

So how to learn Thai cooking? I made it this way: every time I ate somewhere something very good on my Thailand/Lao trip I ordered the same meal a second time again, and asked the owner of the restaurant or the cook to show me how he/she does it. They took me into the kitchen, and while he/she prepared the food and explained the details to me, I made my notes, and at home I was able then to cook it again.

In Bangkok most of the cooks accepted this, and in the provinces the cooks were even very proud to explain all this to me.

One very good cook was a women who had a small open air kitchen after 8pm at the side of the avenue near Soi Cowboy. She cooked every order fresh. She was about 50+ years old, and many of the girls/peoples of the Soi Cowboy bars went to her for ordering a meal. I was very sad when I wanted to go there this August again and I didnt see her there any more. So sorry, she was cooking really good.

Anyone knows if she transferred anywhere else?

Took a class at Thai house a few years back. Basically a tourist thing, fun though. The best way to learn is by asking the chef of a dish you like. I have a bit of experience cooking, and can read a cookbook, and am able to put out a decent dish from time to time. Don't see a need to take lessons though.

Archived