What the hell does it mean?

maxal

On my first trip to LOS. Yes, some friends invited me to see the spectacle that is Nana Plaza. Wow. While trying to check out the complex place to place with the boys, a BG came out of "Playskool" whispering "ha-sip ha sip" in my ear. She never stopped walking or turned back to look at me before disapearing into the crowd. For that very moment, absolutely no one else was around and she definitely made the effort to get close to my ear to say it. I figured it was about money but I'm not sure. I was puzzled by this. Hell, I still am! Does anyone have an idea what this could have possibly meant or is this some random BG tactic to have me chase her? I haven't been back since.

Hi jp1,

Ha sip (har sib) means the number 50, in Thai. Say it twice, it means 50-50, as in half-half, or 50%-50%. I've never heard it used in any other way. I'd be very confused if a B/G came up to me and uttered only that phrase to me. It's an expression that I've heard quite frequently, and only has one meaning, to my knowlege. But it should also be noted my knowlege is very limited, with regard to my command of the Thai language.

I wouldn't worry about it. Probably a yaa-baa crazed katoey mumbling to himself about his station in life. :)

HT

Archived