The Thai lisp?

sky brow

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My B/G friends spent hours having me try to pronounce 'friend' last time I was there. "Pluean". I just can't get it

Hi HH.

No wonder you can`t get it right, it is actually spelled without the "l". :)

And the vowel is what I believe in english is called a tripthong, in other words a vowel actually consisting of a combination of 3 compound vowels. Besides from the "l" in your transliteration I`d say you hit it as right as it can possibly be in english.

When pronouncing this compound vowel or tripthong if you like it helps if you at first pronounce it real slow and in the process move your lower jar forwards. You need to do this to get it right, however bizard it may seem to you.

Cheers

Hua Nguu

Hi Markle,

I hear it all over the place, also bangkok, but I guess it has to do with the people you associate with. I know of very few middle class thais let alone upper class ditto.

The 'l' sound is produced from saying the rolling 'r' lazily not from a confusion between 'r' and 'l' or some type of speech impediment

Well, that is not really my impression. As I said in my earlier post I`ve also heard thais who even when pressed were not able to pronounce it correctly. But you could be right.

It is somewhat annoying when you pick up new words that you think are spelled with lor ling and then later on you find out that they are actually spelled with ror reua.

And yes, I am very well aware of the fact that the "ror reua" sound is not pronounced anywhere like the english "r".

I also mentioned that speakers on tv, radio etc. seem to have little problem to get it right, although I am also sure that they do a bigger effort.

Cheers

Hua Nguu.

No wonder you can`t get it right, it is actually spelled without the "l".

And the vowel is what I believe in english is called a tripthong, in other words a vowel actually consisting of a combination of 3 compound vowels. Besides from the "l" in your transliteration I`d say you hit it as right as it can possibly be in english.

When pronouncing this compound vowel or tripthong if you like it helps if you at first pronounce it real slow and in the process move your lower jar forwards. You need to do this to get it right, however bizard it may seem to you.

OK....make that 2 years before I get this word right. :)

Funny.....I'm at Nana beer bar one afternoon, and after 1/2 hour of going back and forth with the 4 girls at my table with this word, I finally hit it right on. They all jump up and scream. " You get! You say like Thai man!". Of course, after the impromtu celebration, I try a second time, and can see their faces sadden. "OIEEEEEE, they shout". :: Oh well....at least I know it is possible. ::

Not to derail this thread, but which is closer: 'Puu' and 'When' combined for 'puwen', or puu and waan (as in girls name ann, with a 'w' sound in front), combined for 'puan?

I will not rest until I master this word.

HT

I try a second time, and can see their faces sadden

Haha. Sorry to hear that. Well, if you got it right once you can do it again. And you seem to have all the assistance you`ll need and in the right setting. Keep up the good work:)

I am kind of lost with regards to your question:

Are you talking about Puan which is a girl`s name?

Or are you still referring to Peuan as in friend?

Cheers

Hua Nguu

Hi,

Your are right the Thai "r" has been around before the French even came around.

Knowing both French and English (and Thai too), I can confirm that the "r" in Thai is not exactly French, nor it is exactly English. When I was little, the teachers were very strict on our "r" and most of my Thai freinds speak clear "r". Most of my freinds and I get a little annoyed to hear the "r" become an "l".

Cheers!

Hi HT,

It is "peuan" for a friend. It is pronounced like the word "pur" , like the cat is making purring sound'.....

The more I wrote this the more it might be confusing to you. The vowel "eu" is used in many words in Thai, like "reuan'= house, "teuan"= remind/advice.

Good luck, I am still trying to motivate my husband to learn Thai, it can be a hopeless case!

Cheers!

Hi HT,

I have often heard leo far from taxi drivers - listen out for it. I always thought this was BKK dialect rather than a speech impediment. TGF comes from Central Region which is supposed to be the standard Thai - rather than BKK dialect. Most of the time she speaks like my Thai teacher has taught me - both pronunciation and use of words, phrases etc. This breaks down when she speaks Isaan to her friends when she does not want me to know what she is saying.

Khwai

Archived