adoption of baby in Thailand/Cambo

One of my relatives is unable to have children and would like if I can find them the opportunity to adopt a half caucasion, half asian baby girl. Is this tough to find. What if they accept full asian baby girl?

They would take either, just if opportunity is there for a mixed one, they would choose it. I don't know why a preference but many people think that mixed babies are the most beautiful and carry the best traits from the parents cos the genetic structure is far away????

first of all, i have to say that i am generally against those kind of foreign adoptions. having seen that process once it appeared to me more like a supermarket for babies than anything else. there are also opportunities to sponsor a orphan so that it can go to proper school andd university here.

but, answering your question, here in thailand the process is lenghthy and costly. the prospective parents will have to go through a foundation in their homecountry which deals with legal adoptions here in thailand. their background and motivations will be thouroughly checked over a long period before a child here will be suggested.

also here, when they finally can pick up their child, they will have to go through an interview and have to agree to the condition that they will have to come with their child to thailand every few years.

there are many cases though, where the situation did not work out the way the parents thought and it is not unknown that some of those children after a few years were sent to live in an orphanage in the west.

some people try to circumvent the long legal process and go the way of the illegal adoptions. a way which i would under no circumstances support for obvious reasons.

and by the way, i don't think that people who would prefer a half thai - half western child for "beauty reasons" would have much chance to get through the selective process.

Pandabear

If they are serious apply to the Pattaya Orphange Trust in Pattaya. There are many Kids both asian and half asian awaiting adoption. As long as the Child has been registered as a Thai Citizen the adoption can go ahead.

I do not know what the process is or how long it takes but the Orphange will be able to advise you.

I sponsor a girl at the orphanage and its the best thing ever.

Chris

Hi Pandabear,

as it happens to be, my sister adopted a Thai baby, it was actually found in the same province I live in now, talking about coincidence. It was a lengthy process, I think it took them over 3 years to arrange everything and they had to have various interviews and a good job in order to be considered for the adoptation. If your relative is really serious about this, it's probably best for them to contact an officially aknowledged institution that can offer Thai adaptions.

If you're interested in more info, let me know and I'll check it out for you. Remember that I'm talking about the Dutch way of dealing with this subject. Laws and rules might differ in various countries.

By the way, the orphanages in Thailand are packed with babies and children of all ages and in general it's easier to get a boy than a girl.

Cheers,

Limbo

Hi

I go to Pakkred Baby Home about once every two weeks.

They have roughly 200 babies out of 2500 children aged 1-5.

of these 75% are boys (Long live the old Thai addage - girl good - make mumma money).

The sad thing is that so many of these babies ar krung luk - half casts, half thai, half whatever the dad was, but not thai!

White, Black, Chinese, Japanese, Middle East, Indian.

The place is wonderful though, and the staff are great - go there, and see them about your quetion, they adopt most of the kids out to Non Thai countries it seems.

JB

• 1 month later...

Hi, mind if I ask why you go there so often??

As for the original poster, it will depend a hell of a lot on the country they are applying from, all countries have different regs. We went to an adoption agency last year to enquire about how to go about adopting my gf's sisters daughter. for various reasons she was basically unwanted and lived with grandma. We found we met all the criteria except 2, one of those was I needed a work permit to make the application, I argued that because I lived here on outside investments, I did not need a WP, the girl we were talking with eventually came around and got her superior and the general view then was that it would be fine, I just needed to supply certain documentation and they would ask for an exemption re this requirement. The other requirement was to be registered as married here in Los, we don't have that and I will see soon if I can circumvent that one as well. Other than that the Oz government had different rules for inter relative adoptions and especially if I was living out of the country for at least 12 months. The girl has come to live with us and she is an absolute gem, gorgeous little thing she is and settled in very well now. The best thing is she absolutley adores our little boy and she helps take care of him so gently and patiently its amazing. Having gone from no kids and not wanting kids 2 years ago, I now have 2 in under a year and its the best.

Why do I go there so often?

Many reason - I like the ladies - and am attached to one who goes there twice a week to cuddle the kids and get them used to being held!

These kids have lovely flat spots on their heads - so its nice to see a group of women do sonething good.

Also the kids are, well, just fun!

Nice kids, that appreciate a bit of attention.

I'll be back out there next week.

One kid that seems to like me, is Pompadoo, as his "Tempory" white mother calls him.

I met him after he had spent a weekend at their home, and said hello, how are ya mate in thai.

His reaction was amazing, he burst into huge smile, held his arms out to me to pick him up - he was about 11 months then I think???

It turned out the people looking after him didn't speak a word of Thai - and hearing me speak thai just made him happy! (The look he gave me was like "Thank god a person who speaks Thai! These nutters are nice I spent the weekend with but couldn't understand a word they said!"

At that stage his legs where bone only, no muscle, unable tosuport himself.

When I last saw him a few weeks ago I took him for a few hours and he could stand by himself!

The staff there are great and had been giving him physio - I thought he would never walk to be honest!

So there you go - nice people, nice staff, nice kids - nice place to visit.

Archived