IMEI and SIM Lock for mobile phone

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The SIM card lock protects your subscription, but not the phone itself, from unauthorized use. If you change SIM cards, the phone still works with a new SIM card, unless you have the phone lock configured (e.g. turning the phone on or changing SIM card).

IMEI lock is when a phone is tied to a certain service provider. Typically, if you purchase a phone through a service provider, it is locked to be used only for that particular provider and needs to be "unlocked" to be used elsewhere. You can ask your provider to give you the code to unlock your phone and failing that find third parties that provide this service. In BKK, people go to MBK to have the phones unlocked. Certain phones are easy and cheap to unlock and certain phones are not ... depending on the model and the brand.

Nearly all phones sold today are unlocked.

[color:"blue"]

At least in USA, this is not true if you purchase GSM phone through the service provider ... they come locked. Cingular told me to wait thirty days before they would provide me with the unlock code.

[/color]

Which brings up a question, maybe you know the answer.

If I buy an unlocked phone and then try to use it with a SIM card from a provider that usually sells locked phones, will it work?

Specifically, I can buy an unlocked Sony Ericsson T68i in Thailand. If I bring it to the US and I can get say AT&T Wireless to sell me service/SIM card, will it physically work?

Or, if I buy a locked phone from AT&T Wireless, then bring it to Thailand, will my AIS Advance SIM card work in it?

Says steffi:

I believe locked phones aren't a problem these days now that everybody lets people switch. Nearly all phones sold today are unlocked.

Wholly inaccurate statement. Most mobile phones sold are in fact locked to a network. In the UK, networks aren't that keen to give you an unlock code unless you are prepared to pay a hefty charge.

Mostly, only if you buy a mobile witout a network connection will it be unlocked.

Generally an unlocked mobile will work with any network as long as it is frequency compatible; ie; GSM900, PCN1800 and that ridiculous US system 1900. :-)

Worse case scenario; Network only allows mobiles with certain mobile IMEI numbers on it's network. Ala Thailand a little while ago.

Who knows in the US?

The phone needs to be unlocked before you can use it in Thailand, so you have two options:

1. Buy the phone already unlocked.

2. Buy the phone from ATT and have it unlocked by someone else.

Number 1 is the easiest but will cost you more. Number 2 is cheaper but locks you into a contract with ATT.

chok dee

Specifically, I can buy an unlocked Sony Ericsson T68i in Thailand. If I bring it to the US and I can get say AT&T Wireless to sell me service/SIM card, will it physically work?

Yes .. been there done that ...

[/color]

Or, if I buy a locked phone from AT&T Wireless, then bring it to Thailand, will my AIS Advance SIM card work in it?

No!!!!!! It's locked to AT&T wireless network only ... been there done that ....

P.S. I will post separately later, but I have Ericsson T39m - purchsed in USA and unlocked - that I am going to sell (have English manual, two prong plug charger ... in BKK only. 5K baht.

[/color]

Archived