"The Weakest Link" comes to LOS & that "face" thing again!

JCK

If anyone still believes Thai-farang cultural differences are not that big, should check out the front page of today’s Nation.

There’s a hugely successful British game show called The Weakest Link. Ten contestants accumulate a joint score which is added to each time a question is answered correctly. However, woe betide any fool giving a wrong answer because the total drops back to zero. Each round ends with the contestants voting for one member, usually the “dumbest”, to be unceremoniously kicked off. To add to the humiliation, the sadistic bitch of a quiz mistress reproaches the unlucky member before abruptly announcing, “You are the weakest link. Goodbye!” The departing contestant walks the walk of shame out of the studio and is immediately interviewed off-stage. Being rather upset at such a “loss of face”, they naturally slag off all the other contestants - very clever idea and fantastic entertainment!

Great fun for British audiences maybe but if ever a country was not ready for such a humbling spectacle, it’s Thailand. Well, some brave soul has indeed introduced this game here. Known as Kamchad Jud Orn (กำจัดจุดอ่อน wink.gif" border="0, it’s shown on Channel 3 on Thursdays at 10pm. Although the show has been drastically toned down, in its first airing, one contestant, a teacher, cried at the camera begging her students not to think she was stupid after being voted off. A further participant was reprimanded by another contestant for not knowing what the letters IMF stood for (Duh!).

This show has inevitably attracted far more criticism than praise. I know I am a guest here etc etc but as someone who works with Thais (in a European company) and has worked elsewhere in Asia, I get very very tired of this “face” thing sometimes. Therefore, I will certainly be watching this show in future - assuming it is not “voted off” by the Thai public of course.

[ February 13, 2002: Message edited by: JCK ]

It is a great show indeed and Miss Robinson is doing a great job on the BBC.

Also aired on the BBC are the USA episodes also presented by her;

The way she does tacle the candidates, and the way they really can be humuliated, I can only imagine what a nefast thing this would be in Thailand .....

The Weakest Link Show in Thailand?!!

You might as well hog-tie a feminist, farang, lesbian, rape victim and let truck drivers sexually harrass and goose her until she exclaims, "Stop!"

Thanks for telling me the story JCK laugh.gif" border="0

Archived