Driving in LOS or other Countries

Torneyboy

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

"I agree with yabaa, but how can somebody be high on krating dang"

The problem with this stuff is that it (supposedly) keeps people awake longer than their body would normally allow. But when the effects of it wear out, they will get tired / sleepy very quickly.

Guess what happens if this happens when they are still driving?

Sanuk!

Had experience driving in Philippines, Korea, Panama and Thailand (Koh Samui). It's rather scary to be able to state that North Americans are actually pretty good drivers. Korean GF in U.S. had nephew staying with her while attending college. He was afraid to drive in the U.S. Her reaction was the same as mine--"What's your your problem, you learned to drive in Seoul." Response was--"Auntie, here they expect you to follow the rules.'

I enjoy driving in Thailand. To a certain extent you can drive the way you have always wanted to, and there is virtually no road rage. I do agree with the comments about driving in the dark, and especially at dusk, however.

If you buy a garland from the sellers at junctions I am sure that guarantees you never to have an accident.

I'm not sure how widely accepted Thai driving licences are in other countries, but of all the Thais I know very few ever took a test (or they took it once, failed then paid the 'extra' for a licence anyway), only about 40% of them had any proper lessons and I would estimate that maybe 20% of them would have a hope in hell of passing a proper driving test in farangland.

Add to this the facts that there is really no noticeable police presence on the road (at least here in the North) and the poor (non existent?) standard of basic maintenance, particularly to lights and you can start to see (or not see!) the problems. I've lost count of the number of times I've almost hit a motorcycle at night because it had no lights, or even stranger, they had a front light but the shopping in the front basket blocked it out entirely. I'm sure every Thai driver believes they are immortal.

Archived