Vountary Redundancy - jump or not to jump ?

gobbledonk

OH,

Sorry to hear of UALs bankruptcy, and this cautionary tale has prompted me to stick my hand up for the voluntary redundancy. Thank you all for your advice - time will tell whether anyone in IT is able to define their own future over the next 18 months.

I just hope our glorious CEO has locknuts on the wheels which keep his Porsche off the tarmac .....

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where's "Software Park" in Bangkok?

Are there really lots of good programmers in Thailand? I don't think of Thai education or culture as being conducive to producing logical, technologically-advanced problem solvers.

As for the 10 month pay-off - you're lucky, artview. Some of us just get told the company's gone bust.

Bibblies,

I take your point, and that scenario is my biggest fear. Like so many things, its a question of timing : I may be kicking myself in 6 months whatever I do.

One thing is for sure - if the current trend to corporate collapse isnt soon arrested, we will all be in a very shaky boat. I'm not sure what principles your bosses ascribe to, but ours dont seem to realise that the 'greed is good' ethos of the 80's has a downside.

>One thing is for sure - if the current trend to corporate collapse isnt soon arrested, we will all be in a very shaky boat.

Good that you took the money. As you may know from my other thread, I've been made redundant 3 weeks ago.

Talking to other companies, I am confident something will come up mid-January. Even my former company wants me back.

I'm taking 1 month off and then will see how I go.

For you, in IT, I can't believe you'll be out of work for 10 months.

TTM,

The sole roadblock to my aspirations is the cautionary tale of one 'X', a formwer colleague who threw in his job and packed the family up for a return to the rich pickings of the old country. I suspect that the tales of big contracts filtering back from other techies who had gone over wore him down.

After 3 despairing months in London, he gave up and came back to BrizVegas, where he spent a further 6 months trying to find a permanent positon. X is a bright, well-presented and articulate guy, although I suspect that he wasnt prepared to take a backward step in terms of salary or position (I am resigned to both as simple realities).

Cant have been easy for anyone in the family.

Software Park is out at Chaengwattana - near Muang Tong Tani or Impact Stadium.

Thailand is working hard at getting good programmers, but surprisingly, a lot actually coming out of Burma and Vietnam

By the way I am also from Brisvegas - Lived in Cooparoo/West End and New Farm - went to school there as well for some of my life.

Jimmie,

Depending on how long its been since you last visited Brissie, you may not recognise much of either suburb - both are very desirable (and expensive) places to live now, with West End a particularly trendy cafe society. When I lived there, the restaurants were had a distinct working class flavour : a few remain, but the majority are more upmarket.

Its good to see the inner-city being reinvented, but the cost of admission has risen sharply. C'est la vie !

• 2 weeks later...

I would take the money and run. The IT industry is not going to pick up in the short term, and you may face being made redundant with no cash at all.

What area of IT are you in? What is your current role? I run a management consulting firm based here and LOS and we do a lot of IT related work. I might be able to give some more specific tips. PM me if you like.

Sid

Sid,

Thanks for your kind offer, but my impression of the IT contractors life in BKK is that it may be even more precarious than it is here in Oz - so much competition for relatively few jobs. Besides, one of the advantages of Brisbanes relative lack of nightlife is that one can actually concentrate on other things - the expats in Thailand must have incredible powers of concentration :)

Archived