All Nippon Bangkok - USA

samak

re UA under chapter 11 i searched for alternative star alliance carriers and found all nippon to be nearly 500usd cheaper than UA for business class bangkok - east coast and they have a direct flight narita - dulles

anybody any experience with All Nippon business class (trans pacific and with asia are probably quite different)?

thanks for sharing!

I've flown their JFK - NRT route many times and would recommend them. For that trip they still use 747's so I usually just relax upstairs. Standard biz class (the usual loungechair seats - not the flat ones that BA offers, personal monitors and movies, food may be a bit Japanese-centric but hey this is a nihon-no carrier!) probably better than UAL for overall service. I fly them within Japan too without hesitation. Cheaper than the bullet trains. One reason I like ANA (and to an extent JAL) is because they offer red-eye service back to Tokyo from Bangkok. Therefore I can have a full day of fun, catch my flight and be at work in Tokyo before 9 the next morning. Play hard, work hard -- a good mantra. The only negative I have with ANA and JAL is that they will not bend any regulations regarding extra baggage, upgrading, et al so play by the rules from that aspect. As jp1 would say "Japanese flexibility". Also I do not think you receive the same mileage premiums you would as a UAL flier meaning that you may only get 100% miles instead of 125% + 25% (depending on status) - a consideration. BTW - I am probably wrong on the percentages, just making an example. But many flights are codeshare so if you book the ticket as a UAL flight (if it is the same price) I think you are immune to that situation. Lastly, ANA has some planes with a Pokemon livery. I like that. ::

All--

I'll "second" that... I like ANA and have jumped with them NRT-SFO (NH008) and NRT-LAX (NH006) and gone as rev as well. In both Y/C classes service is crisp, clean and efficient..

As is ever so common with Asian carriers, compliance (to the letter) with rules such as baggage, compensation and such issues are ever-so strict and little "let's make a deal" attitude exists.. This will vary when your flight originates outside of asia, but for travel within and/or originating in asia their go my the book.. fine by me.

Equipment is always clean and operational. While I agree that ANA's Y and C product is by no means "trend setter" in design, comfort or style, it's not lacking at all...

--UPSer

I agree with other posters on the reliability and product for ANA - Very good and dependable. They have a new business class seat introduced on London for sure, US routes will also be lining up to get it sooner rather than later. Overall a good proposition and to your point, is the seat product different between trans Pacific and Trans Asia - the answer is no. Asian airlines generally have the same prodcut across their international fleets regardless of how long is the flight. SQ & TG are exception but thats based more on type of aircraft.

Cheers

• 1 month later...

finally did this trip on ANA and it was a good experience. the seats are not up to UA standards but better than in most other airlines. service and food are excellent; 10 movies to choose from (more than UA but probably UA has the newer movies). the flight to bangkok arrives one hour earlier than UA, which give you more time for pai tiaow on the arriving night. it's the only direct flight out of dulles to tokio and the price was around 500usd cheaper than UA.

will do it again.

Archived