Scuba Diving Thread - mini forum

Brink15

I'm glad you've decided to get back in the water. Don't worry about not having any kit as the shops all cater to tourists who often don't bring any gear with them. If the bug starts to bite again I would suggest getting your own mask, fins, and snorkel for better comfort.

I'd PM Racha as he has a shop in the Phuket area and has the best info on the scene there. Just be aware that weather can make it somewhat hit or miss from June through September in Phuket.

Have fun and safe diving. :)

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Just got back from Phuket ... its quiet! I though Hua Hin was sleepy, still nice to have the entire hotel and most of the restaurants to myself !! Now onto the real stuff ... DIVING!

All the liveaboards have stopped running due to low season and bad weather (it actually only rained once while I was there!). So I booked a day trip to the King Cruiser, Shark Point and Koh Dork Mai with Calypso in Kata Beach (they seemed to be the most professional looking outfit). It was 2,700 for the 3 dives.

A little nervous after four years on dry land but once I was kitted up and into the blue ... I was back! :: Got myself a decent mask the day before as i needed an optical one.

The viz wasnt anything amazing (about 12-15m) but just being there surrounded by huge schools of yellow snappers and iridescent fusiliers as we descended into the car deck of the ferry was awesome. Several lionfish were found along the sides of the barnacle encrusted beast that sunk 6 years ago.

Next dive was at Shark Point, named so for the Leopard Sharks that can be found sleeping around the reef outcrop. We were not to be dissapointed, spotted 5 of them on this relaxing cruise though plate and sponge coral gardens. Later on the boat the DM said it would have been rare to see so many in the high season as all the divers scare them off.

Final dive was the vertical wall at Koh Dork Mai were I found a yellow seahorse and possibly the biggest Moray I have ever seen. A relaxing drift dive that lasted almost an hour (and still with air to spare!).

I am now saving to get my own kit (may take some time on my wages but i'll get there). Dive Supply (in Patong) had a Scubapro BC and regs for 24,900 which I though was good value. And there was another big place further down (I forget the name) with the biggest selection of fins I've ever seen. Are there any dive stores in Bangkok? I remember seeing one once on a drunken stagger back to my hotel.

I'm glad you got back into it.

Very wise decision to get the optical mask before getting back into the water. As for the other gear Limbo's suggestion of Planet Scuba in BKK is a good one. The best thing to do is a little research before you invest in the expensive stuff, Regulator, BCD, Computer. One way to do this is to check out what the DMs and Instructors use. I always used to tell my students the same thing. It makes sense that if a DM or Instructor has access to any kit they want, the stuff they use is probably some of the best.

I'm a huge fan of Mares and Scuba Pro for regulators and Sea Quest for recreational BCDs (although most of the time now I use Dive Rite or OMS - you need a lot of lift at 60+ meters :eek:)

My recreational kit consists of a Mares MR22 Abyss reg., SeaQuest Balance low profile BCD, and Suunto cobra computer.

For fins I won't buy anything but Mares - I still have 12 pairs of Cressi, Scuba Pro, Aqualung, Apollo, and Tusa fins that I got for free when I was managing a shop a few years ago, but I still only use Mares. I use the Mares Plana Avanti Quattro but any of the Plana line are great.

About the King Cruiser:

When I was teaching on Phi Phi we used to see the King Cruiser making its daily trip to the other side of the Island. Its path crossed between Phi Phi Don and Phi Phi Lei. My DM and I used to joke all the time about what a great wreck it would make and how we wanted to start the PADI UDT specialty course. The joke was that we would be the first divers on the wreck and it might be hard to explain to the marine patrol.

On one trip back from Phi Phi Lei in a longtail boat our captain saw the Cruiser coming and decided to play chicken. Instead of going around the stern of the ferry he decided to cut across the bow. Now you've seen how big the wreck is, imagine a tiny longtail boat cutting in front of the Cruiser as it steamed full speed towards Phuket. We just made it past the far pontoon with about 15 meters to spare. The captain just laughed and thought that was good fun. I wasn't really that worried as I knew that as crazy as this guy was he also was that good at driving that boat.

Ahhh, the memories.

Hi from Ko Tao, Weather here is very hot...too hot. Been here for 5 days already and no rain and no clouds. I'm not a scuba diver but I have been skin diving three times already. The best place so far for skin diving has been Jansom Bay. The water is warm and there are hudreds and thousands of different fish to see. The needlenose fish is very impressive. Haven't seen any turtles or sharks yet. :(

Not too many peolple here. Lots of empty bungalows (advertising 40% off) Only about 20% capacity I would guess. Anyway very pleasant and quiet here. Small enough to walk most places. I'm having a good time and recommend Ko Tao to my fellow sanukers needing some rest and relaxation. ::

Good info, might head down that way next month (any idea what viz would be like then?). Been to koh tao before about 5 years ago, i guess it would be a bit more developed there now.

Whats the diving in Pattaya like? worth going?

I've never been on a dive in Pattaya so I can't tell you from experience.

I do know that Mermaids Dive Center has an excellent reputation. It's owned by a PADI Course Director who used to be the lead instructor at Limbo's shop before he ventured out on his own.

There is quite a bit of wreck diving and technical diving available but don't expect the same abundance of color and marine life as in the Andaman or between Samui and Koh Tao.

Hi Buksida,

Koh Tao is very developed compared to 5 years ago, still recognisable but a lot more buildings, even a 7-11 now and a bank.

Visibility at this moment at Sail Rock is between 20 and 30 meters (YEAHHHHHHHHHHH) and at Marine Park 1- - 15 meters. Koh tao should be similar.

The diving in Pattaya isn't as good as from Samui and Koh Tao. There's the near and the far islands and of course the Bremen wreck. Indeed technical diving available, but if you're into that, Koh tao has that also to offer right now.

In Pattaya definately recommend Mermaids.

In Koh Tao and Koh Samui come and see our website

Viz in july should be good, with august being top again and the chance of seeing whalesharks.

Feel free to PM me if you want more info.

Koh Tao is very developed compared to 5 years ago, still recognisable but a lot more buildings, even a 7-11 now and a bank

Man, if it had been that way during the miserable 6 weeks I lived there in 95' I might have stayed longer. Then again after 7 months on Phi Phi probably not.

For living, Phuket or Samui are about as small as I can deal with.

I mean I don't need much. Just a news paper on occaision to verify that the world outside the island still exists. Oh, and a few restaurants beyond the tourist stuff. Yeah, and some kind of semi-major town with real stores. And a section of bars would be nice. ................Oh shit I guess I still couldn't live on Koh Tao even with a bank and a 7-11. :(

Archived