Scuba Diving Thread - mini forum

Brink15

I've got one of those Trevor shirts. The design was made by another friend of mine who worked for Big Blue in the early 90's.

My encounters with Trevor were fairly frequent in the short time I worked on Koh Tao as we used White Rock for many classes. It was kind of a pain in the ass having to keep one eye out for Trevor when we got near his area. The last thing I wanted was a student doing a bolter to the surface after being frightened by him.

He only managed to sneak up on me once and bit my fin. In self defense I gave him a good nudge on the side but he didn't even back off. Just kept coming right at me until we had gotten sufficiently out of his territory.

He also had a female partner who was almost as aggressive as him and her territory was overlapping so you had to watch your divers all the time at one end of the site.

Made for real interesting pre-dive briefings though. :grinyes:

Ahhh, the memories.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Racha,

that's exactly what happened to me the other day, one attacked me from behind followed up by the second one. I tried the good old noise trick with the Octopus, but at 22m it didn't make the hissing sound wished for. After it followed us sideways(!!) for a few minutes I finally got rid of him when I found a weight at the bottom and tossed it at him, nearly missing him.

We had a bastard one in Australia that used to freak out the novice divers. I thought they attacked and were really territorial when they were breeding, but it appears that they're 'brasaht' all the time. We used to entice it in then give it a blast from the occy, didn't like that too much ::

Says Brink15:

Limbo,

My favorite tactic on Tao was the old fin attack. Turn on your back and offer your fins to the trigger in an old fashioned flutter kick assault. Most times this worked.

....except with Trevor.
:o

Hi Brink,

that's exactly ehat I did at Sail Rock. I was always under the impression that if you moved away horizontally they would lose interest and leave you alone. The Titan I met didn't read that part in the fish guide!! He kept following me around for a few minutes. Vicious indeed. A bit of a surprise for me as well. The intensity he kept coming at me.

Hi Limbo.

Just saw a great piece or underwater photography on a travel show.

was off the South australian Coast (not warm waters)

I missed the first little bit of the clip but one creature was the same shape as a sea horse only looked 4 times or so larger.

and had more waving bits down the body and colorfull as well.

Was something.....Dragon.

tried to look it up but without full name drew a blank.

wonder if you or Brink can fill me in .

also showed a wierd octopuss the shape of the space ship in James bond Moonraker...shovel nosed but more than one part.

Sorry hope i am not out of order in the thread.

Archived