Who's your FAVORITE professional sports team....

BadaBing

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although I too am a great fan of the Original 6, Cosmic Surfer's suggestion that hockey was somehow "pure" and "better" when it was 98% Canadian is nonsense.

Great hockey has been played in Europe for many, many years -it just went largely unnoticed in N. America until the last decade or so. I think the European players have added great flair and talent to the game.

Sorry if I wasn't clear... In those days the NHL was basically Canadian with a few Americans thrown in to add some local "Color". Europeans in the NHL were almost, if not entirely, non-existent.

But International (read as European) and Olympic Hockey was always respected and we would watch the competition between the Chechs and Russians and Finns, etc. with some degree of wonder.... And always we were asking ourselves... If they ever played against an NHL team (read as Montreal Canadians) how would they fair.

Well, that finally happened, and the first Canadians/Russian Series (Dates escape me) were probably some of the Best hockey games EVER... Including that, so-called "Dream Team", USA Olympic Gold Medal series.

After I stopped watching the NHL, all I would watch after that was the Canadians vs Russians, or any International matches.

CS

Archived