New luggage rule

richs

A new TSA rule requires that all checked luggage be unlocked. Theft by airport workers is supposedly to be detered by video surveilance and close supervision. That no theft will occur for domestic U.S. flights remains to be seen. For my flight to Bangkok, I think baggage pilfering of unlocked luggage is almost a certainty. I've been told by Eva Air there is nothing they can do. Maybe so, but it is outrageous that after I arrive in Bangkok, my bags will be unlocked and out of my sight until I claim them.

I am flying out to Minn tomorrow. all over the news they say do not lock your bags. This is new and they are just starting to do it. They say that if anything shows up on the new high powered xray and sniffer machines, they will search your luggage. If it is locked they will cut them. Also they are saying not to wrap any gifts, because they will open them too.

So that is the latest from the land of the free.

Last year ( a few days after sept 11) my son's luggage got busted on a bangkok-Paris-Brussels flight, probaly at Charles-de-Gaulle airport. He had a huge flashlight inside. The bag was cut and flashlight was missing. Bag was locked.

What the airline pays as compensation does not cover the financial loss, althoug it was not an expensive item. The indemnity was based on registered weight at check-in time in Bangkok and the weight of the luggage at Brussels airport.

Says samak:

never! not in usa, asia or europe. and they don't even check whether the luggage is locked or not. and i flew around 250k miles this year.

Get used to it because the new policy is that all checked-in luggage is supposed to be screened for explosives and that means bags must be unlocked so that security personell can have access to the contents.

Who knows however if the policy will be enforced for every piece of luggage.

Plan ahead: ( my plan anyway, maybe of some use to others)

attach a packing list ( I know, first thought is the theives will use it to decide what to take)

use zip ties in place of locks ( put spare ones in the bag with a simple note to replace the cut ones if your bag is selected)

what bothers me about this is I like to bring some special food items

( and this time a small toaster overn also) I am sure it will make an interesting picture on the xray machine.

just after 911 I had my luggage searched/xrayed in front of me after checkin>

had a sattelite phone, and some other electronic items in the box, but the got excited about a package of "c" size batteries in the box. go figure ( and when the lady handed me back my passport, I expected here to ask if I wanted and order of fries with it((lookes/acted like a fast food worker))

Hello,

I wonder how that can happen, after all, insurances will not pay if you don't take care of your luggage properly, e.g. take care that it is locked so other people can't access it and such.

Greetings,

Wouter Dijkslag

Archived