New luggage rule

richs

Says Wody:

Hello,

I wonder how that can happen, after all, insurances will not pay if you don't take care of your luggage properly, e.g. take care that it is locked so other people can't access it and such.

Greetings,

Wouter Dijkslag

Here is th TSA website that will give you all the info for traveling with check-in luggage.

http://129.33.119.130/public/theme_home1.jsp

• 2 weeks later...
never! not in usa, asia or europe. and they don't even check whether the luggage is locked or not. and i flew around 250k miles this year.

Just saw it on TV: In Germany and maybe all over Europe there is a new rule since January 1 that ALL luggage must be x-rayed and every suspicious item needs to be opened for further control. Therefore it is advised not to lock the luggage anymore otherwise the locks will be broken.

Maybe it is better from now on not to put any valuables into the luggage. Germany seems to be relativly save, but how about other destinations?

Maybe it is better from now on not to put any valuables into the luggage. Germany seems to be relativly save, but how about other destinations?

Kamui,

it's strongly advised not to put any valuables inside the checked-in luggage because, the airport of Frankfurt is notoriously known for criminal gangs who have some of their members employed in the baggage sorting area. Quite often valuable items are pilfered from the checked baggage.

it's strongly advised not to put any valuables inside the checked-in luggage because, the airport of Frankfurt is notoriously known for criminal gangs who have some of their members employed in the baggage sorting area. Quite often valuable items are pilfered from the checked baggage.

sigh, another positive stereotype about my country is going down the drain. There is no security, nowhere (except in Japan maybe, if you forget occasional earthquakes and taifuns) ::

sigh, another positive stereotype about my country is going down the drain. There is no security, nowhere (except in Japan maybe?) ::

Kamui,

Checked-in luggage of Japanese passengers is their favourite prey because Japanese are very inexperienced when it comes to pilferage etc. They put a lot of valuable items such as Louis Vuiton bags into their baggage. As you know,these kind of criminal activities are more or less not existing in Japan. All gang members are of one certain nationality (I don't want to mention here). The FAG - Frankfurt airport authority- did a good job and had many arrested over the last couple of months but there is still pilferage going on. ::

Archived