Myanmar -- $US a must-have (vs. Thai Baht)?

In a few days my wife and I are off to Burma for a short trip. Burma has a multi-currency situation in effect: $US, FECs, and Kyat, with FECs and dollars being roughly equivalent. But we're on a package tour and so won't have to purchase FECs, thus removing them from our picture completely, and leaving us with dollars and kyat. The things it seems FECs/dollars are normally required for (hotels, transport, etc) are already taken care of because we're on a prepaid package tour.

So my question is two-fold:

(a) Is there anything we're likely to encounter (eating at local places, wandering around, the odd souvenir, beers at night, etc) that would require the use of dollars and not allow use of kyat?

(B) Can Thai Baht be readily exchanged over there and if so will I get a rate similar to changing the dollar equivalent, or would it be better to change baht to dollars in Bangkok and then take the dollars to Burma?

Basically I am trying to work out whether I need to bring any dollars with me or whether I can just bring baht, and what the issues might be in terms of exchange rates, etc.

Anyone with recent experience?

1) you can pretty much travel thru Myanmar with no kyats, and only US dollars. the only problem is that some things are worth less than a buck, so do a little change for kyats, just for that type of situtation. The best place to change money in Myanmar is across the street from the TRADERS hotel (i hope this is the name, I am 90% sure), in the cigarette and stuff little shops along the way. Or just ask the first indian tout you meet, or your burmese guide.

2)bahts will not carry the weight nor the price of dollars. Bring and hang on to these green Gods, you will be in good shape. bring many denominations, a lot of 1s for taxi fares, if needed, and a few twenties. Though I found that usually, burmese have no problems changing in dollars as well. same thing, on the last day, you may wish to change 40$, and you only have hundreds. No worry, the right money changer will give you back kyats and 60 $.

have a great trip. The Shwedagon will be something else, esp. at dawn or sunset. You are warned!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Got 1025 kyats to the dollar for a $100 exchange with a black market dude, at a park near my hotel. That was on December 25, but can't imagine it's much different now.

Archived