Swedish 'Julbord', Anyone Know If & Where?

Straycat

Hi!

It may seem as an odd question but I do know there are in fact quite a few Swedes present....

It's X-mas time around. This is my first spent in Thailand. Now, for good measure, patriotism & to make my missus happy, I wouldn't mind indulging in a Swedish 'julbord'.*

Anyone know if there's such a thing around, preferrably in Bangkok? -- In Pattaya?

God Jul,

Straycat

* For non-swedes: A 'julbord' is a 'smorgasbord' but with traditional Swedish x-mas dishes; baked ham, herring, 'lutfisk', meatballs, salads and a 100, or so, more dishes of various sorts. All eaten with lots of hard liquor, of course.

Is THIS place still around?

Two Vikings

2 Soi 35 Sukhumvit Rd.

Tel : 258-8843, 258-8846

I think it's Norwegian, but close enough? If it's still there. Heard of it for years, but never went there myself.

frosty.gif

Ah, thanks for the tip! I'll check it out since it's rather close to where I live.

I was also thinking of the following establishments (which I intended to look at today but had to give up due to 'rot tit maak'):

-- Ryn's (or is it Ryan's?) on Convent Rd. Advertizes itself as a Scandinavian restaurant.

-- The Wall on Soi Pramote 3, Mahesak Rd, off Silom (which has a Swedish owner from what I've heard.)

I've never been to either of these before so I don't know what to expect...

Restaurant Admiral on Sukhumwit soi 18 serves various Scandinavian dishes, and will have a Christmas buffet that probably will include most of the items you mentioned. It's a nice place really, not like the normal holes in the wall that Scandinavian places in Thailand tends to be. That's where I will fill my stomach this Christmas.

Alternatively you can try Stable Lodge on Suk. soi 8. It's a Danish operated hotel, serving traditional Scandinavian food.

Paillote

Hi!

Jonas' place 'Two Lions' in Pattaya. However I would suspect that it is fully booked already. It's on soi Ping Pong, quite difficult to find if you don't know the way.

Hasse's on soi Postoffice stopped serving "Julbord" several years ago. I don't know about Globetrotter hotel but it does have a Swedish management.

If you would happen to pass through Pattaya anytime before Jan. 4 PM me to get my room number and perhaps we can meet up for a drink.

Since Villa Norden closed years ago I don't know of any places in BKK.

regards

ALHOLK frosty.gif

Archived