Argument at S&P Restaurant

walletss

"500bht would be to much for me for the plain "mai pen rai" attitude."

Well, that's right, at second thougt I would be upset as well.

It's just my experience that being upset does not help in LOS. As I mentionned in an earlier reply, two weeks ago, at this place where I eat several times a week they served me the lousiest tom kha kai I ever had to taste. I said it was "mai aroi", gave it back to the waitress but they did not forget to add the tom kha kai to the bill, which I paid. The quality of other plates has gone down as wel, some friends who eat there regularly say the same, the place will see less of our money. There is nothing you can do about it. Mai pen rai....biggrinsanta.gif

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We had the same problem with the restaurant in our apartment building, the food sucks, ordered chicken with cashews one night, 50 baht plate, and it comes with 3 tiny pieces of chicken! I sent it back telling the woman owner exactly how much 3 bits of chicken were worth :)

Suffice to say I make it a point of walking past their window with bags of food from down the soi every chance I get, with a happy contented look on my face, works wonders sometimes..

I suppose it's easy to say what I would have done, since I've never eaten there. I would have eaten upstairs in the food court. Food is excellent and way too cheap. My normal response is never to get into an argument in Thailand. Things can escalate very quickly into problems you hadn't even imagined. I think it was an obvious rip-off aimed at farangs, though. TIT

I don't think it was a ripoff aimed at a farang, bad business maybe in that you weren't told it was a minimum of 500grams and 500B.I would have paid and asked them to bag up the remainder. I would have been pissed with them but more pissed with myself for not checking exactly what I was getting.

As another has said eat upstairs in the food court, the food is pretty good and the eye candy is great. ;)

I didn't eat the whole fish.

Why didn't you ask them to put the rest of the fish in a box/bag whatever and bring it home?

A lot of people do that when there's a lot of food left.

If this happens again, better negotiate beforehand and not after eating half of it. ;)

" you ordered the special by pointing to it in the menu and as far as I can see that is exactly what you received. "

Let us use a bit of common sense here. I am one person. There was no-one else at the table. 100 grams with my side order of rice is a reasonable serve for one person. I pointed to the menu in agreement to the waiters suggestion of sweet and sour fish. I would expect him to bring me a one serve portion. Have you seen how large a 500 gram serve of fish is when ordered with rice?

Seem logical to you?

"

"500bht would be to much for me for the plain "mai pen rai" attitude."

Well, that's right, at second thougt I would be upset as well."

It's not just the money. It was the attitude of the management that pissed me off. All they had to say on the matter was that once they lay it on the table it has to be paid for regardless of whose misunderstanding it was.

If they would have been prepared to concede that they had made a mistake I would have still been pissed but paid the the full amount.

>>>>If they would have been prepared to concede that they had made a mistake<<<

It is exactly this point, that you will never, ever, be satisfied with, and more experienced punters are. Asking any Thai business to be prepared to concede that they have made a mistake, is an exorsize in futility. It simply won't ever happen. It is a part of Thai culture. If you can't get your head around this fact, then stop going there. It is a reality that, you alone, are not going to change.

Get burnt in Thialand? Pay up, and move on. A simple rule, that if you live by, will save you much agrivation. It's just not worth the effort, and even if you apply the effort, it will get you nowhere. You're not in your home country while there. You applying your same rules will not get you anywhere. You learned a lesson. Learn from it, instead of fighting it. Seafood is sold by weight there. Mistakes were made. Probably more on your part, than waiters. Just learn from it, and move on. If it happens again, with your new-found info under your belt..well, then...at least you have some ammunition to fight back with, not that it will get you anywhere. ::

Pick your battles well. You're wasting your time, with this one.

HT

" If you can't get your head around this fact, then stop going there. It is a reality that, you alone, are not going to change. "

Don't get so serious. S&P and I are friends again. I haven't cancelled my airline tickets and hotel bookings because of a squabble over fish.

Some guys like to get shirty over bargirls that don't deliver what they expected and I like to post about my grievances with fish portions.. Go figure...lol

Hey by the way.

Have a Happy New Year!!!

Archived