Argument at S&P Restaurant

walletss

" There's a few places, restaurants where I live, where I just don't go back to anymore. They seem not really to care.

This was just by the way I was treated. "

Actually I did go back several times and nothing was ever mentioned about the incident again. Maybe this is the good part about the fact that they seem not really to care.

Basically I like S&P. I think this was just an isolated incident.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Basically I like S&P. I think this was just an isolated incident.

But why do you still believe it was all their fault? If you ordered the dish, ate the dish, and then refused to pay the price I can't see that S&P is really at fault. When buying fish you need to ask the average weight to know how much your bill is likely to be. That you did not do that is not their fault. I would not expect to be served a 100gr fish. But I also know that everyone is not aware of the 100gr pricing for seafood and know you could feel bad about it, but when you see it listed on the menu per 100gr believe most of us would just pay the charge and take it as a lesson learned. Once the food is served you should not expect to refuse to pay. Then the workers are on the hook for the price. As for the size; there are many of us who can finish a family size plate in one sitting so the waiter probably assumed you could. ::

" But why do you still believe it was all their fault? If you ordered the dish, ate the dish, and then refused to pay the price I can't see that S&P is really at fault. When buying fish you need to ask the average weight to know how much your bill is likely to be. That you did not do that is not their fault. I would not expect to be served a 100gr fish"

I ordered 100 grams of fish for 100 baht and some steamed rice.

I didn't eat the whole fish.

The dish they brought me was not what I ordered.

If they couldn't get me what I ordered they should inform me before bringing me that size fish.

right?

The dish they brought me was not what I ordered

That is not what you have posted. You said you ordered the special by pointing to it in the menu and as far as I can see that is exactly what you received. That you did not know it would be more than "per 100gr" seems to be your error. You may have though you ordered 100 grams of fish but as you have said the price was "per 100 grams".

Are you an American?

When you are in S&P in Panthip, toto, you aren't in Kansas anymore. It's be called Thailand.

"There is nothing in English near the picture" Umm, you're in Thailand. If you are in America, you don't expect to see Spanish next to the picture (well, in some restaurants you do, lol).

"because any fool can see that one person could not eat that serving." You really don't know what Thais think of some farangs?

"I flatly refused and ended up paying only for what I ordered." Well that just sucked for your waiter now didn't it? So I guess you paid 100 baht. Guess who made up the difference? I'd lay down odds that the waiter had to make up the difference out of his wages [about 2-days worth of wages].

"I didn't eat the whole fish." Well that's mighty nice of you. They can go back and sell the rest. It's just like saying, "Hey, who wants to eat 3/4 of this lobster. It's only 400 baht!!! First 1/4 ate by a farang!!! Wadda bargain!!!!

"If they couldn't get me what I ordered they should inform me before bringing me that size fish." Yah, like they put warnings on the side of Microwaves. Don't dry your pets in here. The custom is to pay by the weight. You are the foreigner. Whose fault is it that you don't know the custom?

Wonder what you are like in the small towns if this is how it goes in the farang friendly big city :)

Now I'm taking a bit of da piss here, but really, you need to be more understanding. It's not like this guy is trying to sell you gems backed by the "gov't of Thailand". You really did probably screw the waiter's month. Remember, you are the foreigner here. And ummm.... English is not the first language, and the MENUS THIS REFLACT (intentional Engwish]

Poor waiter.

<<burp>>

It is difficult to say who was in the right or wrong in this situation. Certainly a competent waiter would point out to a single diner that they are ordering a family-sized portion and get confirmation that is what they in fact want. A well-run restuarant with a signifigant English-speaking clientelle would have a menu that explains prices more clearly. Neither happened in this case, but it is a common enough occurance in Thailand. I have always had a good experience in S&P - good food, reasonable prices, decent service.

One other note: I would avoid ordering food at a restaurant by weight in Thailand unless I trusted the place or was with a Thai friend. I would be concerned about getting cheated on the weight - hard to dispute the bill after you have eaten the food. This being said, seafood in Thailand can be cheap and delicious.

Harlequin

well had happened to me many times cause i dont look so much what things cost when i order food. but i always pay and never give it a second thought. but if i get annoyed i never set foot in that place again.

Sorry mate,

but if it says 'per 100gr' and you saw it you should know to agree beforehand about the size/weight of the fucker. Thought that's common knowledge.

Was it a whole fish in one piece or a whole fish in pieces?

Of course their mistake not to tell you it's a minimum 500gr meal, but then you know where you are, don't you?

Archived