Operation Cobra Gold ??

Neon Ninja

I probably should have done my research better....

Now that all my airline and hotel reservations are in order for my trip in May, I come to find out that May/June are the months usually for Operation Cobra Gold.

For those of you who don't know, this is when the U.S. Navy does some sort of yearly training exercise in the region; and U.S. warships let off their sailors and Marines in Pattaya for shore leave.

I have nothing against our servicemen having fun (I used to be one myself); I just would rather they didn't while I was there! smile.gif" border="0

Luckily I missed them on my visit last year, but apparently not this year!! frown.gif" border="0

Anyhow my questions go out to Pattaya127 and other frequent Pattaya visitors/expats:

What happens to the price of girls / drinks / etc during this exercise??

Do prices skyrocket or stay the same?

Are good looking girls harder to find?

Are there usually high number of bar fights?

Thanks for any and all info!

-=/NN

[Edited for typos and punctuation errors]

[ February 23, 2002: Message edited by: Neon Ninja ]

I was there last year during that time, and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. It didn't seem like the fleet was really in so to speak. I ran into a few sailors in Pattaya, but all in all, it seemed slow compared to the previous January. I wouldn't even worry about it. If it means anything, I plan to go again this year during Cobra gold.

I have to agree with the old hippie. I was there a couple of years ago and I didn't really notice them and generally when I did come across them they were well behaved.

My general impression was that the girls thought they would make less money off these guys and preferred "tourists".

I agree with Pangit, it did seem that the girls were after us tourists! Not so much for the money, but for our looks! smile.gif" border="0 I think if you make reservation now, then you needn't worry about any troops getting in the way, you might not even notice!

One small note, last year I did see one woman Shore patrol person go into Classroom agogo to get some of the guys out, She seemed pretty interested in the place! I also had a nice conversation with a few women sailors in there as well! seems we have/had similar taste in women!

I was in PAttata for a while last cobra gold. Definely a noticable presense, as in you will see groups of navy guys wandering around, and at bars, etc.. But I remember thinking, this is it?!? They get leave in bunches, so it's really not too much at all when mixed in with the regular crowd of punters. They seemed well behaved, and I'd say a minority actually endulge in (barfine) the girls. I've heard the military does it's best to put the fear into them about AIDS, etc. They sure like to drink though, and I did see one fight last september involving a US navy guy. don;t know what about, but a few MP chased after him to apprehend him.

I've also heard complaints about the soldiers from the girls ("He fu*k her 4 time. she hurt. He give only 500 baht." - that kind of thing) but I've also heard from one girl they sometime pay better money because they are kind of naive and don't know how much they are supposed to pay.

THey seem to like to challenge the thais to boxing matches at those beer bar complexes that have rings. I've seen 3 or 4 of these matches and they are amusing to watch. Farang is usually 50-100% heavier than the thai. Always the same... first round or two farang does most of the punching, thai on the defensive, feeling out the style of the attacks, drawing him out, taking some blows. By the 3rd or 4th round the farang is getting tired, thai starts testing farangs defenses, and within a round delvers a blow that lands the farang on the mat, sometimes out cold.

[ February 23, 2002: Message edited by: worldwalker ]

Worldwalker, where did you see the fight with the sailor? I t might have been me I had a bit of a donnybrook with one last year in Pattaya, on Soi 2! He lost at pool, which took some doing as I truly suck! and he didn't want to pay up, and then got abusive with the Mamason. It ended pretty cool though and his buddies paid up and also kicked in for the damage he caused! Mainly spilled drinks. Over all, I didn't recall any problems out of the ordinary.

Archived