extension of non-immigrant O visa?

iuytrede

Will do my arranged visa run for another 90 days next week and then go down to Immigration with all our documents.
They really will not want to see you until you have less than 30 days remaining on your visa as what you are asking is a one year extension of your present visa. So I would get 250k into a Thai bank and maybe make it in several transfers to show that you will be bringing the money in on a regular basis. Copy your bank statements. About a week before visa expires obtain a signed letter from your bank confirming the amount on deposit. Take that/bank book/copies of financial statements/passport/wife/home register/id card and copies of all to immigration. Fill out visa extension form with a current photo (tell them non-immigrant support of Thai wife when they ask what kind). Submit form with 500 baht fee. You will be sent to room in the back and present all this paperwork and fill out a form (your wife will be closely questioned). They will probably also want a photograph of you together (wedding or in your home). You will probably be given an extension of 45 days from date of interview and on return receive an extension until your last entry (will not be full year the first time). Once you apply for extension you are subject to the 90 address reporting rule so you will probably want to go upstairs the day you apply (if within 7 days of your being here 90 days) to make your first report. If you plan any exit of Thailand you may also want to get a re-entry permit at this time.

This is an extension of a non-immigrant visa (current stay)and has nothing to do with multi-entry visa. Multi-entry requires you exit country every 90 days or less and is not linked to support AFAIK.

I am still a little confused and I would like to try and clarify a few points. As I understand it a visitor to Thailand is issued with a Non Immigrant visa prior to their departure. This can either be a three month or twelve month visa.

This however only permits them to enter the Kingdom and its Immigration at the port of entry who determine how long they can stay.

If one is supporting a Thai wife you can then apply to extend this initial period up to a total of 12 months, in which time you will have to report every ninety days. You will also need a re-entry permit prior to departure if you leave the Kingdom for any reason during this period.

Questions? Is multiple entry an option you have to ask for or is it written in to the extension permit issued by Immigration in Bangkok? Alternatively does this option depend on the type of visa you used to originally enter the Kingdom?

Next I assume that anyone holding an O Visa (3 months or 12months) can apply for one extension to their permit, after the initial period granted at the port of entry. This for a further three months or in the case of a couple, for a max stay of twelve months.

Thereafter one is obliged to leave the country and start again.

A visitor obtains a non-immigrant visa prior to arrival in Thailand. This visa allows a 90 day stay which is stamped at port of entry. If the visa is a multi-entry type (there is no real need for this type if an extension is the goal) he will be able to exit/enter for another 90 days until the visa expires (which for a one year visa used the day issued would be one year). The last entry would be an additional 90 days so this multi-entry visa would cover almost 15 months, having to exit/enter every 90 days or less. This visa does not allow you to stay in Thailand for one year - it only allows you to exit/enter any number of times during a one year period and stay up to 90 days each time. There is a single and multi entry 're-entry permit' which you might be thinking of. That you would obtain at immigration by telling which you wanted.

If you qualify for a non-immigrant visa you may be able to obtain an extension, one year at a time, if you can provide the additional requirements this entails. If you do qualify for one year extensions they can go on forever without leaving the country. If you want to leave the country you would have to obtain a re-entry permit prior to your exit or you would have to start the process over.

If you do qualify for one year extensions they can go on forever without leaving the country.

How does one qualify for an extension after the first year? My wife is pregnant and due and my year is up. I understand that I have to leave the country apply for a new visa and go through the hoops again. Is this incorrect?

Archived