legal marriage in thailand

Hi guys, just a few questions following a perusal of the various posts on this and related topics (apologies if I'm covering some old ground):

1. Is there any preference for which District Office to register a wedding at? Some people have suggested Bangrak, but is there any particular reason?

2. Is the registration itself a 'ceremony' (eg similar to a civil wedding ceremony at a Registry Office in the UK)? Is there a need for any additional formal ceremony beforehand (we are not planning the big village thing)?

3. We will subsequently be applying for UK settlement visa (g/f has visited on tourist visa already) - I understand that I need to get a form from the embassy stating that I'm not already married, but could any discussions with the embassy on this be prejudicial to the visa application? Or alternatively, could they help smooth the way?

All advice appreciated and apologies again if I've missed some the answers in the archives.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not an expert in the subject but just some observations from seeing friends go through the same thing.

1. You have to register the wedding at the district office in which your wife's ID was issued.

2. Just turn up and sign a book. No ceremony at all.

3. It may be easier to apply for a fiancee visa for your gf and get married back home. Ask the Embassy.

Says themayorofpattaya:

You have to register the wedding at the district office in which your wife's ID was issued.

This is not true. You can register it at any district office in Thailand.

Your gf can marry at any district office (amphur) you or she likes.

What I did is going to BKK, go to a translation service office close to your embassy and they'll arrange everything for you, all the necessary translations etc and they jump in a cab with you and go to a districts office and have you married there.

You do need that peice of paper from the embassy that states that you're not married but in itself there's not much that the embassy can or will do for you.

Good luck tho.

If you're interested, I still have the info on my translation office who were very effecient and close to the Dutch, US and UK embassy.

Cheers,

Limbo

This is not true. You can register it at any district office in Thailand.

I was told it should be done in the district office where the couple is currently living.

Why do you think it's called a 'District Office'?

Anyway, sounds logic to me, why going to another one? ::

Sorry for the misinformation about the district office :o but everyone I know got married in their wife's district where her ID was issued, just guessed it must be compulsory.

1. BangRak is the district of love so many Thai will like to have that on the marriage certificate. Another reason is that this district is staffed by English speakers and you will not need a translator (most others will want you to have someone to provide unofficial translations of what you are signing).

2. The registration is simply providing proof (see 3) of ability to marry and filling out of forms. This can be done at a ceremony outside the district office for a small fee. There is no requirement for any ceremony but believe most Buddhists would want at least a morning prayer with monks and provide food for them even if the village thing is not done.

3. You need to prove your suitability to marry with a notarized letter from your Embassy Consular section which will say you are not married, two people/address who know you in your home country, (believe employment/salary) and maybe parents names or some such thing. Only one page but it then has to be officially translated by a listed translator and registered at the Thai Foreign Ministry. This will take a day or two and cost a bit. They will return you a stamped copy with a number that the district office can verify before granting marriage. I do not know the UK procedure but for USA you would, after marriage, have to apply for an immigrant visa which would then take 6 months to over a year and she would not be able to enter the USA until this was obtained. The tourist visa would not longer be accepted, even if she had one.

Dude, relax. You are mistaken.

You can do it anywhere. We did it at some random amphur office near the airport, with no connection whatsoever with where we are or were living or anything else except that it was convenient and open and staffed when we wanted to do it(not always a given).

for USA you would, after marriage, have to apply for an immigrant visa which would then take 6 months to over a year and she would not be able to enter the USA until this was obtained. The tourist visa would not longer be accepted, even if she had one.

I'm curious about this. In my case, I live in Bangkok; my Thai wife has a tourist visa issued after we were married.

Are you saying that they would have somehow canceled her visa if she had gotten it before we were married? Are you sure?

Archived