legal marriage in thailand

Well, it's kinda interesting actually, the story is a tad more complicated that I described at first.

Initially, my wife had a passport in her maiden name -- we went and got it after we were married, but obviously before she changed her name. Incidentally, that's one reason why people may prefer to register at the Thai half's home amphur -- the name change can only be done there and so could be done at the same time the marriage is registered. If you're in Bangkok and can't get back up to (name of remote province here), well, you have a period where you're married but she's still using her maiden name.

Anyway when we applied for the US tourist visa they gave us a 1 year multiple entry. The visa had a notation specifically stating that it was for accompanying her husband "on vacation" (their exact words). We used that visa once -- at the POE they scrutinized us for about a nanosecond more than usual (just asked if I work in Thailand, I said yes, end of srutinization) before stamping her through (for 30 days that time).

Upon returning to Thailand, we got upcountry and she changed her name. We went and got a whole new passport rather than having some notation made in her existing one. I figured that having a visa in a passport where the names wouldn't match the name on the airline ticket, etc, well, there would be some point at which some blockhead behind a counter would refuse to let us board, or refuse entry, etc.

There is no procedure to transfer the visa in this case, you have to apply for a whole new one, which we did. I submitted exactly the same application, plus the old passport (and of course she had now been in the US and left). Again they issued a 1 year multiple entry with the "to accompany husband" notation.

The first time we entered on this visa is when we got the special scrunization. But ever since then she's always just been stamped through for 6 months.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived