legal marriage in thailand

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kh,

No, the embassy would not cancel your wife's existing visa had she gotten it before you were married. But the INS officer at a POE in the USA could always refuse to allow her entry if she tries to enter and he suspects that she might not leave. If you two go on a visit to the US just make sure you have something with you to prove that you'd leave again - such as your Thai visa and work permit (if you have one) - in the unlikely event that the question is raised.

I think lopburi meant that if a person residing in the US married a Thai citizen, the embassy would almost certainly insist that the Thai get an immigrant visa rather than a tourist visa since it would be hard to prove that the Thai wouldn't stay in the US with their spouse once they'd entered.

The spouse or girlfriend of a US citizen residing and working in Thailand should have no problem getting a tourist visa, as your wife did, to accompany their significant other on a visit to the USA. If you ever decide to move back to the USA, however, start far enough in advance on an immigrant visa for your wife so that she will have it in time to accompany you.

Regards, JEff

Says KhMarried:

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr />

for USA you would, after marriage, have to apply for an immigrant visa which would then take 6 months to over a year and she would not be able to enter the USA until this was obtained. The tourist visa would not longer be accepted, even if she had one.

I'm curious about this. In my case, I live in Bangkok; my Thai wife has a tourist visa issued after we were married.

Are you saying that they would have somehow canceled her visa if she had gotten it before we were married? Are you sure?

We have been to the US several times on that visa already (they gave her a 1 year multiple entry). The first time she entered on it, we were shunted to the secondary interview area. After looking at my work permit they stamped her through (6 month stay). Ever since then, we have never been questioned and she gets stamped for 6 months every time.

Dude, back the hell off.

Apparently this person at the district office told me the wrong thing. Maybe a newbie in her job.

I still wonder why rather going to another district office than your own.

Did you have a bad day or something?

Relax and drink a beer, you're making me nervous. ;)

Are you saying that they would have somehow canceled her visa if she had gotten it before we were married? Are you sure?
Jeff's excellent reply is what I was thinking. If she is just a visitor she can use a visitor visa but if she intends to immigrate, as the poster is talking about, she would have to obtain the proper visa or risk immigration turning her back at the border. Also doubt very much that an adjustment of status request would be honored if she were to enter on a tourist visa after marriage. But again this is US immigration so not sure what UK rules are.

Yes. Your wife may have and use a tourist visa if that is the reason for the trip. It is all about using the visa for the purpose intended. But didn't your wife get a new passport under a new name? Think it would have been a long story to get anyone to honor the old visa if that is the case. ::

We have been to the US several times on that visa already (they gave her a 1 year multiple entry).
As long as you can show that she will be leaving (you live overseas) and have reason for visit that sounds reasonable there should not be any problem (but may take some talk first time). But as Jeff says be sure to arrange immigrent visa when/if you ever decide to live in the US.

Hi Zaad,

can only tell you my personal reasons for using a different district office.

As you probably figured out already by yourslef, marrying a Thai person isn't that easy, it involves a bit of red tape on both sides.

Now, I could've gone to BKK, get all the paperwork required from the embassy and have everything translated by going to the right places and legalised by stams, if I would've found them. Than back to Samui, just to find out that the person on duty that day isn't completey up to date or just has a bad day and requires some other crappy piece of paper. So off to BKK once more, losing time and money and problems with work getting all this time off.

A few friends of mine however went to BKK and got it sorted out in just one day. I had contact with the Dutch embassy by email so when I got there I was prepared, had all the necessary paperwork and didn't last longer than 10 minutes in there. Crossed the street into a translation/marriage service office, spent about 12.000Baht and was officialy married within 2 and a half hours after entering the embassy.

All the paperwork was translated and legalised and stamped and send to us by mail. Excellent service and I don't regret doing it.

Funnily enough we were married at the Amphur close to Khao San Rd, were I used to walk by some 9 years ago when I first came to BKK.

Is there anything like coincidence??

Just my 2baht.......

Limbo

Ok, ok, I admit, I overreacted. I have gone back and edited my post.

Have a good one (and yes I will probably drink that beer you suggest, tonight at NEP ::).

Archived