What is the most extravagant food you've ever had?

Brink15

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

living octopus: they cut the tentacles in pieces of about an inch length. all those pieces still move on the plate. you have to catch it with the metal chopsticks, dip it in a sauce and eat it.

another i forgot is stingray i had in thailand. phad phet and thord.

Says Brink15:

Limbo,

When you had the snake in Hat Yai was it in snake alley? I've always wanted to try the cobra feast where they make the cobra blood cocktail and then cook the meat a few different ways. Was this what you had?

Hi Brink,

that's the place, close to the bus station. My Thai wasn't that good in those days and it took me forever to get there ::

In these places they only pick up the blood, mingle it with whiskey and you drink it. They don't prepare the meat here although you can get a soup.

In Indonesia I had cobra, and they did a different job, got the blood in a jar, put the spine in it, the heart and the liver as well, put some whiskey in it from a big jar with another animal floating in it, some honey and that's what you drank. They did prepare the meat in any style you liked, we opted for the fried variaty and it tasted like chips, a bit disapointing.

What are these Texan animals called that look like that funny animal that Sarisin ate, had one of those in Belize.

Also had a big Stingray in Koh Lanta first time I was in Thailand, about 10 years ago, wasn't a diver in those days, but it tasted good, also prepared phad phed.

Cheers,

Limbo

Samak wrote "...living octopus: they cut the tentacles in pieces of about an inch length. all those pieces still move on the plate. you have to catch it with the metal chopsticks, dip it in a sauce and eat it..."

Yeah, I've had that lots of times. It's tender and delicious, but the bastard's still clearly alive and wriggling and understandably a bit pissed off at being sliced up and eaten in public, so the sucker pads on the tentacles can lock themselves onto the insides of your cheeks or your tongue as you chomp away ? really nippy and very painful as you have to rip it off before swallowing :o .

Kobe beef, eaten in Kobe at an expensive joint, was truly delicious, and the kaiseki meals (15 courses etc...) you get at lavish functions take some beating.

Fugu (blowfish) has never impressed me, for all it's puffed (pun intentional) up to be. Much ado about not much, I reckon. Fugu sashimi (raw blowfish) is bland and chewy: if you didn't have the "pon-su" (vinegary soy sauce) to dip it into there'd be no taste at all. And cooked fugu is more like overcooked chicken breast than fishmeat. Not impressed at all. The style-over-substance Japanese also have this big song-and-dance thing about the meat in the fugu's cheek, just below the eye socket (tiny morsel of white meat) being the most exquisitely delicious part of the fish. Tastes just like the rest to me... ::

'Exotic' Japanese food? 'Namako' (sea cucumber) comes in sweet vinegar and is thinly sliced. Takes only about 30 minutes to chew, and tastes like I imagine a plastic guitar plectrum would. Same texture too. 'Uni' (sea anemone) has a wierd sweetish taste and is much better, nice on top of rice. "Kani miso" (pureed crab's brain) is my favourite, like pungent, very fishy tasting mud, not too expensive either.

Exotic British food? Get yourself up to Scotland and order a "pizza supper" (pizza and chips) from a Fish'n'Chip shop. The guy takes a hilariously cheap "pizza" (the ones you can get in freezer stores, ten for a dollar, just dough with a 1mm spread of processed cheese on board), folds it in half and chucks it in the deep frier for a few minutes. After it's soaked up about a gallon of boiling cooking oil, he removes it and hands it to you with a handful of soggy chips wrapped in an old newspaper. When you take the first bite of the pizza, the absorbed oil squirts out all over your shirt. And it tastes like shit. Lovely. :doah: (They do "deep fried Mars Bars" too, but I've never had one.)

Dog? I had one called N**, 3 kids, freelance alcoholic, no front teeth and a chinese character tattooed on her left arse cheek, short time from Grace disco last time I was in BKK. Didn't "eat" her though. I wasn't quite extravagantly pissed enough for "dining at the dump" :drunk: .

j ::

I ate Fungu (blowfish) once in Japan. Didn't pay for it, but as I recall, it was quite expensive. I also ate (tyhe same trip, different day) in a restaurant which is said to be the oldest in Tokyo. On a wooden street which survived the bombings (do we ever learn?). The dish this place is famous for is "Drunken Fish." Basically small fish marinated in Sake, and then dropped whole into a pot of boiling broth just before serving! Also, tried to eat a live fish in the same place...thank god for booze in these situations...

Just remember one more Japanese speciality:

Inside the old Osaka Intl. Airport at Itami used to be a Japanese restaurant and they served odori sushi lit. translated 'dancing raw fish'. They served living prawns, killed them before your eyes and served them with a marinated sauce. When swallowing this delicacy without chewing, the movement of the prawn could be felt down the throat. :: :)

Limbo: That's an armadillo you're thinking of. There's a semi-Urban Legend about them carrying leprosy. They do, that part's true, but there is no record of anyone having contracted leprosy from an armadillo. I don't know if it's a different strain or what. Never heard of anyone actually eating one, though. You can see them run over quite a bit, not just in Texas either, but Oklahoma, maybe New Mexico.

Archived