Body Snatchers of Bangkok

Torneyboy

>>>You mentioned that doctors may be more to blame for some deaths rather than the rescue teams lets say eagerness?

And money...they are doctors,do you mean they want funds from the rescue team/victims family...before treatment?<<<

the hospitals often demand either insurance or garantees for funds before treatment. because of that often injured who do have neither die because they are refused treatment.

another regular occurance is that injured are refused and the volonteers have to find a hospital which accepts them.

for example last months we picked up nine injured (serious inner injuries) and brought them to the rajawithi hospital. they took grudgingly four of them and kicked us out. we then had to bring the rest to another hospital. the first only took 3, but after we protested a doctor came out and checked the injuries and admitted them straightaway.

there is not much you can do.

>>>They touched on (the city does not have ...forget the word they used) emergency service.

Adequate? efficient?<<<

none whatsoever. not existing. nil.

the foundations are the only functioning rescue sythem in this country.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

>>>Not taking the piss, a serious question: How do they deal with the whole ghost issue, like the ghost of the deceased following them home?

This is my girlfriends question, but I am interested in that belief aspect as well.<<<

people deal individually with that. many have some or the other ghost story to tell. i have seen many making a wai before transporting the dead. also, another rationalisation is that they are in the business of "tam bun".

they have a funny joke at times with a fresh volonteer: when he helps one of the yellow clothed guys to transport a corpse to the morgue, they lock him in there for a minute or two (never happened to me though - i got no problem with corpses).

but generally, if one is scared of ghosts it's the wrong line of work.

Ok, another question.

What about the cars/pick-ups...

I've noticed that most of the cars are all made in a similiar fashion, specifically made for the task at hand. As far as I'm aware, the Po Teck Tung cars for example are almost all of them white with text stickers in Thai, English and Chinese. The cars also -- of course -- carry specific emergency rescue equipment.

Is it really up the different volonteer teams to 1) buy the car and 2) equip them? I would imagine it's possible to borrow, rent or buy the car directly from the foundation (just like you can rent tuk-tuks, taxis and even elephants on a daily basis in Bangkok)? My girlfriend, who had close friends work for Por Teck Tung, claims that is the case (but I don't think she really knows...)

Furthermore, what exactly do they carry in the cars? Do they have oxygen, morphine etc?

---

On a side note: I've been allowed to look at the stiffs inside the cars on a few occasions. It's been most interesting for a farang as me that has actually never seen a dead body in the West, ever. :o

Hi FlyW

[color:"blue"]>>>They touched on (the city does not have ...forget the word they used) emergency service.

Adequate? efficient?<<<

none whatsoever. not existing. nil.

the foundations are the only functioning rescue sythem in this country.

[/color]

So just to clarify it in my and others minds....are you saying there are no public ambulance services?

Not even run by the Fire Dept. or the hospitals?

Even in China we had a makeshift ambulance service run by the state. Not as good a setup as you have described though. Usually just a couple of guys with a covered pickup, tossing them in dead or alive. Maybe they got paid bby the hospital...don't really know.

Anyway, in all my time in LOS, it's not been a concern....maybe it will become one now. :banghead:

Guest lazyphil

<<Anyway, in all my time in LOS, it's not been a concern....maybe it will become one now>>

I had a prang on Samui a while back and had the good fortune to have it right outside a clinic and went straight in to get fixed up :o

Heck, I'd hate to be lying on the side of the road, slowly bleeding out, and realizing, during the conscious moments, that your life depended on good samaritan volunteers to get to your rescue.

Better hope your karma bank is filled.

Guest lazyphil

Yes, rather than trying to close naughty bars why not get the girls taxed to fund a descent fire, rescue and ambulance service instead of whittling about 'face' and how LOS looks to outsiders, Thai politicians seem to be stupid vain pricks!......I think if the outside world new that LOS has no proper rescue services and Thai men (including hi-so men) used services of p4p but have hang ups about some poor old git who gets his rocks off with a bg yet you can bleed to death by the side of the road with the random chance of a good samaritan. Grow up and sort the issues out that count!!!

Hi LHL,

In Samui there's two hospitals, one state and two privat owned ones.

At least the two privat owned ones have an ambulance, but not for general use. If you have an accident and you'te lying next to the road, you're dependent on someboday with a pick up being good enough to stop and bring you to a hospital.

One hospital gives out money, 1000B for bringing in patients, if they've got insurance that is and stay at least one night in the hospital.

Very interesting for a lot of taxi drivers.

Orand,

Why hasn't there been any effort to establish a primitive city/county EMS in Bkk? Is it lack of funds? A low priority? A lack of other resources (training, equipment, etc)? All the above?

It seems like BKK's emergency/ambulance system (probably disaster response system as well) is non-existence in relationship to what is taking place and efforts in the private hospital industry to be the best health care provider in the region for paying patients.

The gap between the two will grow because if they continue to follow the western model of health care, the cost of emergency medicine is a losing proposition which falls to the county/city to provide and coordinate.

The private hospitals will stay clear of setting up any emergency medical system because of the sheer number of poor people to paying patients will justify it so at least from a financial eqaution.

The national/ local gov will need to tackle EMS some day but that won't be until they get day to day medical care ironed out first....

In the meantime for a falang or wealthy thai, one better hope one don't get in an accident or have friends who will take you to a good hospital in case of an emergency. An efficient, effective and reliable 911 system doesn't seem to be around the corner anytime soon....

Cardinalblue

[color:"blue"] The gap between the two will grow because if they continue to follow the western model of health care, [/color]

SOME western model health care systems

Not all western nations are barbarians basing health care on economic gain from their ailing tax paying citizens.

Just my opinion bcause I live in one of the good ones. :bow:

Archived