What Religion are you?

Torneyboy

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<<I would argue that Buddhism is noit a religion either as there is no deity. It is a philosophy...>>

I was talking to my father today who was an Anglican minister and he said that theologians considered Buddhism a philosophy and not a religion.

I was brought up a Christian but haven't been to church for years.

Thou i beleive everyone has a spiritual side that needs to be nurtured.

There are many ways to nurture it through either organised religion or philosophies.

went to some web site on vrous population of religions, and they listed Buhism and Commuism as religions, reason for budhism it may have started as a phiposophy (which I doubt) but as it grew and obsorbed other cultures (Much like Christmas and the early church) it deffinately became a religion.

On the other coin, I think all religions are philosophies, codes to live by, remarkably similar.

Communism was lsited, can;t remember their reasoning

DOG

Pointing out historical fact supported by scripture is not a flame.However, there is little point posting quotes as this would only lead to being accused of quoting out of context/other intepretations for that sura, line from a particular hadith etc.Then we would come to the what about all the nasty things said in other religious books.I think we only have to look at the world around us today and say to ourselves by their fruits shall ye know them to sort the good from the bad, and I don't just refer to the followers of the child abuser here.

On Buddha deserting his family he did not of course exacactly leave them destitute and his wife became a follower.As far as we know he never ordered anyone to be murdered, did not conduct war, loot caravanseri, own slaves or marry the infant daughter of murdered enemies.

Strange how all the major religions have been founded by men,and some very wicked ones at that. Apart from a few christian offshoots like christian science and seventh day adventists I cannot think of a woman founder can anyone think of one? The only others are a few gurus in india and madame Blavatsky the founder of theosophy. Perhaps it's time they had a go at being gods voice,they aint had a very good deal from religion so far -peter

-There is no religion higher than truth-

Saying that one religion is founded by child abuser is being personal I think, how about all the child brides in India? Hindu falls into your same catagory? How about the child brides of the USA< which only ceased recently in the Christian churches there? So - Who are the child abuses? Hindu? Muslim? American Christian? Catholic?

Sorry - I do find that your comment is flamitroy, however I pass on this coment, its the humans who are the abusers, and as you point out below, not many are female,

<<Strange how all the major religions have been founded by men,and some very wicked ones at that. Apart from a few christian offshoots like christian science and seventh day adventists I cannot think of a woman founder can anyone think of one? The only others are a few gurus in india and madame Blavatsky the founder of theosophy. Perhaps it's time they had a go at being gods voice,they aint had a very good deal from religion so far -peter >>

That I do agree with you,

DOG -

It is a philosophy...

---------------------------------

practiced mostly as a religion by the people who claim it as their credo, save a few %s. Back to square one :(!

One thing is, Buddhism is the only belief that does not deny its practicers to also claim/practice another religion.

It can certainly be viewed as a philosophy, but , IMO, it is also addressing what happens after we are dead, when no philosophy can help anymore, but we are still not escaping its tenants, like rebirth, and nibbana. As much philosophy of death as life, then?

• 1 month later...

I'm nominally a protestant, but only attend for funerals, weddings etc.

Would rather be a Hindu, then it would be more interesting, as I could have a different god for every day of the year. ;-)

Having had a figure akin to the Lord Ganesh, some of the local children would rub it whilst on holiday in India, and then run away laughing.... took me a while to work out what was so funny !

Nervous_Dog said:

Saying that one religion is founded by child abuser is being personal I think, how about all the child brides in India? Hindu falls into your same catagory? How about the child brides of the USA< which only ceased recently in the Christian churches there? So - Who are the child abuses? Hindu? Muslim? American Christian? Catholic?

DOG -

Don't really follow the logic here mr dog. Yes there are lots of examples of the exploitation of young girls in religion at different times all over the world, but multiple cases of wrongdoing does not make it acceptable does it. Saying that one religion was founded by someone who married a six year old may be unpleasant but happens to be true. What is most unpleasant is that in most of these cases god is used to justify the sexual exploitation of children-peter

Archived