Farangs Targeted by Immigration Police

MrSmit

Dude_Le_Rude said:

I hate to point out the obvious, but not carrying your passport means you are breaking the law, therefore, a criminal....!

We keep kicking this around, but was it ever established that this is actually law, like with an actual reference to an actual law.

Just because police/immi/your grandma give you a hard time doesn't necessarily mean you broke anu real laws.

At work today, we got our 1st paychecks under our new contracts. One guy didn't get his promised raise. The reason given by Pratheep, the wunderkind of the payroll office?

"He only work 7 months. Thai law say no raise before eight months."

Bullfuckingshit

Asswipe.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate to point out the obvious, but not carrying your passport means you are breaking the law, therefore, a criminal.
There is a big problem with this argument - it is not obvious that failing to carry your passport is a crime.

Even if we assume for the sake of argument there is some arcane Thai law that requires foreignors to have their passports on them at all times, it is not something that most people would obviously consider a crime. The sensible advice was to keep your passport safely in your hotel vault.

And let's be honest about what this is all about. It is not about law enforcement. It is about extorting "fines" from hapless foreignors who - unsurprinsgly - are unfamiliar with this purported law.

I believe the law says that all persons need to carry ID acceptable to the authorities.

For Thais that means an ID card, for foreigers, that would mean a passport or residence card or whatever is deemed acceptable to the authorities at the time.

LaoHuLi said:

I believe the law says that all persons need to carry ID acceptable to the authorities.

For Thais that means an ID card, for foreigers, that would mean a passport or residence card or whatever is deemed acceptable to the authorities at the time.

In the US, such a law (if we had such a law) would no doubt be deemed by the courts to be unconstitutionally "void for vagueness" as "whatever is acceptable to the authorities" does not give proper notice of exactly what is required to comply with the law.

My two satang on the passport issue, I usually prefer to carry mine these days. Figure it's almost as safe on me as it is in my room or hotel safe. The Thai plastic bank book covers are almost a perfect fit for the passport and protect it quite nicely. If you have a Thai bank account, they will give you one for the asking.

I wonder if a Thai driving licence is acceptable?it has our passport number on it.

I don't carry my passport,but always have my driving licences with me.

Guest HonoluluJimmy
gunneruk said:

I wonder if a Thai driving licence is acceptable?it has our passport number on it.

I don't carry my passport,but always have my driving

I worked for me not all that long ago...I use it for Airline w/i LOS, renting cars and lots of other stuff!

"In the US, such a law (if we had such a law) would no doubt be deemed by the courts to be be unconstitutionally..."

It's always been a grey area. A dozen years ago, a former acquaintance, sharpest guy I've ever known, www.edwardlawson.com, was first since Thomas Jefferson to argue his own case before the Supreme Court.

The only time I was ever 'cuffed, slammed into a squad car and sent to the brig was shortly thereafter by our neighborhood Park Police for not possessing valid ID (mentioning my friend's case surely did not help my cause).

Now, however, post-9/11 Homeland Security is making us all Patrick McGoohan. The marriage of soc. sec # (originally intended for statistical purposes and not identification) with state driver's license will gradually become a national ID card.

When I travel, I opt for the passport copy, also figuring easier to sort it out later. Many governments are seeing it, if not an opportunity for extra income, as a retaliation against draconian US policies.

Archived