Farangs Targeted by Immigration Police

MrSmit

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A google gave the answer:

bak·sheesh

n. pl. baksheesh

A gratuity, tip, or bribe paid to expedite service, especially in some Near Eastern countries.

[Persian bakhshish, present, from Middle Persian bakhshishn, from bakhshdan, bakhsh-, to give presents, from Avestan bakhsh-; see bhag- in Indo-European roots.]

web page

"...legitimate law force activity...it is not....Simply an excuse to shake down the patrons...Thai and Farang--for money."

The original post (the letter to the ed. as well as the thread's title) is quite clear that it was the immigration police targetting farangs. Thais (living under a different standard than in the West of being required to identify themselves regardless) are generally in possession of their ID's and thus not hassled.

Foreigners on the other hand, as the subsequent debate has illustrated, are accustomed to identifying themselves only for reasonable cause, and thus, for the most part, lack the supporting documentation on hand. Only trouble is Club Mystique is not in Farangland.

Just as there is an ongoing War on Drugs (thus the piss tests) so is there an escalating War on Sanukkers (a significant percentage who are illegal and as differentiated from TAT-certified 'tourists', who would never find themselves in a Club Mystique) and thus the enforcement of whatever law this thread has yet to furnish.

sfinkz said:

... differentiated from TAT-certified 'tourists', who would never find themselves in a Club Mystique)

I think that is a a bit strong. Mystique is a "normal girl" friendly place (not to say you will not find the odd freelancer there, but they are found everywhere worldwide). It is just a disco, not unlike anything found in RCA or Thonglor. Now if your say that a "TAT-certified tourist" would never be found in NEP/Cowboy/Patpong, I would totally agree (even tho' I have seen several time a tour bus disgorge Paki or Chinese tourists into Cowboy 2 bar for one drink :o).

Cheers,

SD

Thanks to the ones who understood my point.

TO THE OTHERS:

It had notthing to do with law enforcement or having to go to the police station. It had to do WITH THE WAY IT IS DONE, either rudely or systemically, as the OP indicated and as happened more often in the years of thaksin rule.

I was very proud of my ex, this year, who talked back to a cop who wanted to fine me for her not wearing a helmet behind me on the bike (mine was on), all this in the middle of Songkran revelling. I mean come on, you got dozens of guys and gals having fun, throwing water at each other, ZE day of all-out fun in Thailand, and they try to fine a farang 200 bahts. She told him they should start thinking twice before harassing stupidly the very people that bring money to the Kingdom, and that it simply was talking very low of Thailand to act like this; He was pretty mad, but no fine was paid, and especially no time wasted, on my last day in this otherwise welcoming Land.

There is no excuse for lack of respect, and she is right, Thailand is the place where people, cops too, can be extremely polite and reflecting nicely on the image of the country. Too bad some western-educated primo politician is sending the wrong xenophobic message to the troops.

Yep, very unthai!!!

>>>>>>>>>>I think a big part of the problem is that after the first post the issue was presented as some sort of legitimate law enforcement activity. As anyone who lives here should know, it is not. It was simply an excuse to shake down the patrons of Club Mystique - Thai and Farang - for money>>>>

There's plenty of laws that are kept in place just for that purpose. Anti gambling and anti prostitution come to mind. Everyone is doing it, but you can get caught. And it's not just targetting foreigners either.

I realize it is 'high scale' but I believe it has been determined that both its patrons and operators have fallen through the cracks, not fitting the accepted rules of what a tourist or night-time entertainment venue is and not contributing in a significant way.

Or maybe you said it best: 'Snooty locals ethnically cleansing their party spot.'

There's plenty of laws that are kept in place just for that purpose. Anti gambling and anti prostitution come to mind. Everyone is doing it, but you can get caught. And it's not just targetting foreigners either.
This is the big problem with laws that everyone violates: they allow selective and often discriminatory enforcement.

lazyphil said:

we dont need ID here in the uk....for now anyway and i dont carry my passport in los, a photocopy i do though.

It seems the crafty buggers are going to introduce the ID card soon, at a cost of £100.

I see absoltely NO reason for this to be implemented. The major criminials are the ones that the Government wants to crack down on by making the ID cards mandatory...these are probably the same criminals who will be producing good quality fakes!!

Also, the UK government has a poor record of the implementation of mass computer systems, so this is bound to spiral out of control

Archived