Food Safety

camerashy

SD,

Yes, you are correct. For most, my routine (cipro, 500mg, 2/day for 5-6 days) would be an overkill. My system is especially sensitive, even in the States or Europe. It's an undiagnosed problem (similar to 'irritable bowel syndrome' but not same-same). I've had it since I was 16. My gastroenterologist from a Harvard teaching hospital in Bean Towne has known me since 1978.

Interestingly, most Thai gastroenterologists prefer Tequin, another broad spectrum cousin to cipro (newer?), but far more expensive here. Cipro is more G.I. specific, according to the PDR in the States; and, is very cheap compared to it's cost in America. When the hell will Canada annex the U.S. to provide Americans with affordable prescription medications?

For most, Norfloxacin is sufficient ... usually given in 2, 400mg doses 12 hrs. apart ... but 800mg in a single dose should also work as well. Keep in mind, these antibiotics work best without alcohol ... sometimes I forget this!

A friend who visits LOS at least once a year deals with the squirts with copious amounts of Johnnie Walker Black, with soda of course ("black sodah") ... hey, it works for him; but, would probably do me in!

Tell me, are you still living within viewing distance of that obnoxious sign for Riviera (on New Petchburi Rd :)) that actually depicts a farang, where farangs aren't allowed to set foot? ... or have you broken that barrier? :grinyes:

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

..."projectile vomiting" ... Now my brain's stirring!

It's time for a remake of "The Exorcist" released in 1973 ... but this time, we'll use a Bangkok bargirl - slightly different twist and direction to insure box office suckcess!

No Campbell's Green Pea soup will be used by the NP film crew as in the original. Now, as to where to bring the star, so as to induce the proper projectile? ... another thread? ... under "Culture," or the lack of it? ... or maybe we should air our gripes over food in LOS under the "Food" section?

:grinyes:

suadum said:

Personally, I think that all the anti-bacteria cleansers and excessive hygiene in the West makes people weak immune-system wise and increases the resistance of bad bacteria to things that can kill it. It cannot be a good thing.

Cheers,

SD

Right on!. We will all die one day of over-desinfection. Look at all the allergies babys get nowadays, as there imune-system has no chance with all that cleaniness.

I usually get Montezoumas-revenge on my third or fourth day in LOS - and than I am fine.

I love those foodstands on the street. And I love Lamai Food Market.

MaW

P.S: The only thing I am a bit picky with is fish. A fish-poisoning is not funny.

But in Lamai there are fresh (yes the fish too).

And that's why the food complaints of tourists staying in LOS less than 3 months need to be taken with a grain of salt.

I wasn't complaining. Just commenting on my experiances.

Mainly the first day or two of a trip - nothing too serious I just don't fart unless sitting on the pan :o

The occasional "dodgy tummy" or even rarer "bad" episode could well be hygiene :o, a liquid diet or mainly not eating Thai Food - which I think would help. BTW my stays in the LOS used to be up to 6 months - although not this long for a few years now :(

Never take any drugs to remedy the situation - as I find a trip to McDonalds "bungs up the works" quite nicely.

Archived