Zone Alarm Upgrade leads to No Internet Access!!

gawguy

And...AND...their Tech Support does not address the problem! WTF!!

In the words of another victim, here's exactly what happened to me: "I?ve been running the free version of ZoneAlarm for years without incident. Got a message last night that an important new update was available. Downloaded and installed that (same as I?ve done many times before) and that?s when everything went completely south."

So...now "True Vector security service is shut down" which is to say my computer's bare ass would be hanging out there in cyberspace if I were to go online.

The poor girl I quoted went on to then buy ZA Pro and also got nowhere.

And can you believe this, month's ago from our own Soongmak: "I have used the free version of zone-alarm for more than two years, but had several problems. First the truevector monitor started to shut down on a regular basis, leaving me unprotected while surfing, and it couldn't be fixed." Cannot be fixed!! And if he says so, I believe it.

In my case along with the error message came this from ZA: "Don't panic. You'll be back online in about 15 minutes." Yeah, baby, back on line like NEVER. I worked on it for about 3 hours. Are these people crazy!?

I don't have such a big problem as others because I have several mirror images of my hard drive in previous working states, and I can just roll back to the situation right before I installed the "important security upgrade."

But why don't they just post a simple fix or make a patch!!? This is f..ing up a LOT of people!

(As Soongmak suggested, I also downloaded Sygate Firewall, and will think about using that. Meanwhile I roll back my system to a state when the previous ZA was working fine.

Gaw Guy

Guest lazyphil

ok boffins, i run spywareblaster, spybot, ad adaware, microcosoft beta antispyware and avg, i update everyday and also update windows daily.....is this good enough protection?...oh and xp firewall is running.....

Hmm..I've been using the free version of ZA for years w/o problems (yet). The current version of the program & driver I have is: 6.0.667.000. I've not had any notice of any update for over a month...do you have a different proggie/driver?

carlton68 said:

glyn,

while I like sygates firewall myself I don't recommend using two firewalls at the same time. Only leads to problems, and you have to configure everything twice. If you have sygate firewall acitve then you should switch off the XP firewall.

i run zone alarm pro and xp firewall without any troubles whatsoever, the only one i really configure is zone alarm pro :)

lazyphil said:

ok boffins, i run spywareblaster, spybot, ad adaware, microcosoft beta antispyware and avg, i update everyday and also update windows daily.....is this good enough protection?...oh and xp firewall is running.....

the adaware you are running should be the adaware SE version, if not then you should update it.

the only other one that you will find is worth looking at is

hijackthis, http://hijackthis.de/, but be careful in what your removing with it and read everything properly.

http://www.download.com/HijackThis/3000-8022_4-10379544.html?tag=lst-0-1

>>>ok boffins, i run spywareblaster, spybot, ad adaware, microcosoft beta antispyware and avg, i update everyday and also update windows daily.....is this good enough protection?...oh and xp firewall is running.....<<<<<

A software firewall like ZoneAlarm or Sygate which prompts you to give permission for any outbound connections and an inexpensive router/switch which acts as a hardware firewall to stop any unsolicited inbound connections would be a major improvement. Without these things a malicious program can send data out from your pc and since the request came from your pc a router will allow an inbound response from the evil weenies.

Archived