Superstition

Now if there ever was a worthless gift for for a Thai BG it would be a watch. Their concept of time is a 2-3 hour window somewhere around the time you're supposed to meet them. Maybe an hourglass would be better. Naw, on second thought, they'd just turn it over again and watch the little grains of sand fall through. smile.gif" border="0

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

quote:

Originally posted by HSTEACH:

Now if there ever was a worthless gift for for a Thai BG it would be a watch. Their concept of time is a 2-3 hour window somewhere around the time you're supposed to meet them. Maybe an hourglass would be better. Naw, on second thought, they'd just turn it over again and watch the little grains of sand fall through.
smile.gif" border="0

grin.... damned if that's not the truth!

Hi,

"I bought some perfume for my fiancee a while back, and she insisted on paying me one baht for it.... that way, she had bought it instead of it being a gift."

This has been my experience as well. Giving perfume is fine if you are not boyfriend/girlfriend, or if the girl pays you for it (even 1 Baht will be fine).

Sanuk!

I fail to understand why perfume is regarded as superstitious. Whenever I visit my G/F - coming from Japan - she askes me to bring perfume or any other kind of cosmetics. Last week while I was in BKK I told her about this and she replied to me that she is not aware about perfume being a farewell present. She said that at least in Northern Thailand it's not considered as such.

jp1

KS and All,

This has been my experience as well. Whenever I give the wife perfume as a present she gives me a few baht in return, as though "paying" for it. I've heard both "explanations" for this. One being the "means you think she smells bad", the other being the "means you are leaving her" explanations for this. It may be a regional "superstition" and not so much a wholey Thai superstition. A friend of mine had a girlfriend from Chiang Rai who had not heard of this, and another a lady from south Thailand who knew nothing of this "superstition". Maybe a central Thai and Isaan thing. Though the wife does ask me to bring perfume over from the states, stating that most of the Thai stores sell "copy", not the real thing. Doubt this is true of Robinson's and the other higher end stores, but may well be true of the others. She always pays the 2 or 3 baht when presented with the gift of a perfume. Her favorite at the moment being Poison. The small baht I later give to our daughter for her piggy bank.

Didn't someone post a list of these superstitions once on the old board? I may have it saved somewhere. If so I'll post it if I find it.

Cent

p.s. I also don't let her get away with the one baht payment. I usually say "No darling, this is expensive perfume! 5 baht please!" :-)

I also notice they seem to like damned near anything, especially clothing, that is labeled "Made in the U.S.A." The wife likes the cosmetics from the US. Maybelline, Cover Girl, etc. And Levi Jeans are always a big hit. To find sizes to fit the smaller Thai girls I find it better to look in the "Teen" girls, or "petite" section, in the stores here, rather than the womens section. Watches seem to go over well too. Maybe because they buy the copy watches there for cheap baht which always seem to die an early death. :-) I've found they love the Timex watches, which you can buy here in the states on sale fairly cheap, and which, as their old advertisement used to say, "Takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'!" Can't kill these damned watches! Which, I think, is why they like them so much.

Now if only they'd learn how to use them! 555555555!

[ January 13, 2002: Message edited by: Cent ]

quote:

Originally posted by Khun Sanuk:

Hi,

"Didn't someone post a list of these superstitions once on the old board? I may have it saved somewhere. If so I'll post it if I find it."

You might mean the (short) list on the site, or the new article on superstition for the new site.

Sanuk!

KS,

No. I'm talking of the one our mutual friend BD did a couple of years back. It was quite well done and extensive. If I find it I'll ask him if it's okay to post it here, under whatever name or no name, whatever he'd prefer if I get his permission. I spoke with him recently by email. Everything's fine. He's just very busy at work at the moment.

Cent

Anyone interested in Buddhism, its roots, Animism and superstition etc may be interested in a site I surfed into recently. It provides an overview of Hinduism and is

http://www.atributetohinduism.com/Nature_Worship.htm

For an even more intriguing read there's the site by a guy who went on a spiritual search, beginning in 1983 when he was 29. He set off to visit 800 of the most sacred sites on the globe. He went all over the place from South America, Japan, India to China etc. Towards the bottom of his page there's an interesting little tale of his visit to the Wu Tai Shan monastery in China. He describes how he sat meditating in front of the statue of the Bodhisattva Manjushri and well, something really bizarre allegedly happened. Anyone interested in this sort of stuff can find out more at

http://www.sacredsites.com/manu/chapt1.html

Archived