Thai Language School?

Shibuya

Pom-Pom,

I remember the owner Chutima getting trashed on the forums a year or two ago as a bit of a, well, language school owner. Wot's she like, then?

I communicated with her once and she replied in a professional manner, but when I sent a second query over some detail I never heard back.

Are you pleased with the school more or less? What sort/kind of students are there (if you're taking group lessons)? The teachers are decent?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went to the UTL (Unity Thai Language) School located on the 15th floor of the Times Square Building. Tel: 0-2653-1538.

They cover a lot of material in a short time period. I can't remember the cost, but it did not seem to be too much. They have study modules. You could stop in and look at the study modules to see if it is something you might be interested in. I did go to another school near On Nut, but I did not learn much from that school. If you are serious about learning Thai, I would stick with one and only one school instead of jumping from school to school.

• 3 months later...

I completely disagree. This is a great school. I have two friends with Interpol who are going there now. One investigates Euro nationals who come here to prey on children and the other does drug stuff.

If the various embassies pay their agents to go there I think that that is a good endorsement.

The woman who runs the school did admit that there was a guy in the UK some time back who slammed her school every chance he got.

That will stop for sure as she is now in touch with his school in the UK.

I went too Somchart for a while and found them to be fine, but that was a few years a go when they where in their previous location so obviously could have changed now but i've not personally heard anything bad about them since i was there.

Simie.

Pom-Pom,

I remember the owner Chutima getting trashed on the forums a year or two ago as a bit of a, well, language school owner. Wot's she like, then?

I communicated with her once and she replied in a professional manner, but when I sent a second query over some detail I never heard back.

Are you pleased with the school more or less? What sort/kind of students are there (if you're taking group lessons)? The teachers are decent?

I'm more or less pleased. I haven't been to other schools so cannot really compare. The 'books' are partially typed/partially handwritten photocopies. Chutima is fine, but possibly a bit stern with her teachers (maybe necessary - I know less about running a Thai language school than I know Thai). All female staff, so people who believe males should learn from males should steer clear. Other students seem pleasant enough, but there are not enough students to do group classes unless you bring your own group. The school has a whole floor, but only makes use of about half of the floorspace. It is clean, there is tea and coffee. I'll probably give Unity a go soonish as I want to see more of what is available - I suspect I'll be studying for at least another year so should make sure I'm at the school most suitable for me.

Archived