learning thai script

belfastish

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
not so difficult if you invest a bit time regularly every day...and practise. i tried to read everything i could catch from the road sign, newspaper, TV ads, products in the shelf so i advanced pretty fast...

I agree. You will notice after a while that you cannot help to try to figure out the meaning of each and every road sign, poster, commercial.. you encounter along your way.

On the bright side, there are many consonants that are seldomly used. On the other hand.. What will make you tear your hair out are the different scripts used in especially posters, commercials etc. :banghead: Left alone handwriting :dunno: Heck, sometimes I cannot even read my own lousy handwriting, make that a lousy thai one and I am lost.

In thai chat rooms transliterations are frequently used and understood although the transliterations may very well be miles apart from what you`d use.

cheers

hn

• 2 weeks later...

"Easy Thai" by Gordon H. Allison is the only book I know of that is solely concerned with learning Thai script. I'm sorta out of things these days as far as all things Thai are concerned but that book really teaches you how to read Thai script.

The title is just publisher's hype. Never mind, it's a fine book. The (I assume) late Mr. Allison has a cheerful and attractive writing style, which is always a consideration.

Readily available, I believe, in Thailand and on Amazon.

Archived