Sony customer service

khunsanuk

Hi,

I figured that since every time someone (including me :) ) has a bad experience with customer services it gets posted, I should post about a good experience this as well.

Saturday a week ago my 40" LCD TV all of a sudden had a vertical line in the screen, running from the top to bottom. After switching to the PS3 I didn't see it, so I figured it was just a UBC issue. The next day I noticed it on the PS3 as well, so the was fucked :(

Called Sony on Tuesday and they send some people round to pick up the TV on Thursday. The guys couldn't give me any indication of cost or repair time. Someone would call me.

And they did the next afternoon. Screen is fucked, cost to repair it: 28,000 Baht!

Obviously I would have none of that and told the girl so. She fully understood and offered to talk to her supervisors. I figured, fine that's the last I hear until next week, but no, 2 hours later she called again. Sony understands and is willing to help out, so cost reduced to 10,700 Baht.

Again, I did not agree as I consider this a defect (the TV is less than 16 months old, but just out of warranty). She again understood and offered to talk to the head office.

Got a call from her again last Thursday and the good news was repairs are done free of charge and they will be returning my TV tomorrow (Friday) at 1pm. And they did, 12:40 they showed up with my TV.

All in all I am very pleased with both the outcome of this and the service I have received from Sony.

Sanuk!

I'm almost with you on this but one thing bothers me. There seems to have been some process that involved you taking a stand before the final outcome of getting it done for free. Why was such a process necessary? Had you agreed to the initial costing would they have later rescinded it in favour of the final price (free)? If I have a Sony product that fails at some point just past its warranty what confidence are Sony giving me here that they will act responsibly when I try to get it fixed? I think you see my point, I read your post as more a warning than an endorsement. Or was that your intent?

"Stick to your guns" everywhere.

Had the motherboard of my new laptop dying while still under warranty...

When finally I caught a customer service person

(from sony too) they finally apologized and told me

that it would take one month to send the laptop to the factory...

I bought a new motherboard and did it myself.

Same with a new digital camera (Canon), still under warranty, took 3 weeks to replace it.

(default with the lense)

And this is not Thailand, was here in Madrid.

Hi,

Yes, I do get your point, and the moral of my story is "Stick to your guns" when talking to Sony.

On the other hand, my TV *was* out of warranty so they were fully within their rights to charge me for the repair.

Sanuk!

Agreed, and I would think that in most other cases you would have ended up paying no matter what. Not much consumer protection here to help out I guess.

Hi,

Actually, there is an ombudsman organization here and they do help. My wife bought an aircon for her salon a year or so ago and it was really, really crap, lots of problems. The company we bought it did not want to deal with it at all; she called the aircon company (Central) and didn't really get much further there either. So, she contacted the ombudsman organization, they contacted Central and Central send some repair guys round.

Sanuk!

Archived